Salmonella Outbreak From Baby Chicks

I would still go into the doctor and find out if she did infact have salmonella. Doubled over with cramps sounds bad enough but, young children dehydrate so easily.

I wanted to chime in because my 2 year old daughter just tested positive for salmonella. She only had a few days of yucky poops but had mucus and a small amount of blood. She never had a fever, stomach pain or watery diarrhea. We went to the doctor and turned in stool samples. Once the lab had the positive test they sent it out to the health department. The County's public health nurse came out to our home to take a history and try to figure out the source of the contamination. Since we have turtles, eat eggs, and have gone out to eat there are many possible sources of contamination. It's really very scary. I'll be driving out to San Bernadino to have the hens' stool samples tested at the UC Davis lab for about $14 a sample. Our local vet charges $170 a sample! I your daughter is doing well.

Wow - maybe I shouldn't be kissing my chickens every day - - - -
roll.png

Tracyree, maybe you should take her to the doctor and tell him about the outbreak and that you'd like her tested specifically for salmonella. Just to be on the safe side.

I cant find any place where it said about any hatchery name.. since some of you have named one can you show me where you saw the hatchery name in this? I got mine from McMurry so i am concerned thank you

I just found out my chicks came from there. What can I give them to get rid of it if they have it? Probiotics?

I don't think there's a treatment. I guess call a vet and find out? The outbreak was about 3 yrs ago so they might not be at risk now. Unless your chicks are older and were from that time period.

Back
Top Bottom