Salmonella Outbreak From Baby Chicks

Can it happen? Yeah. Am I concerned? Not really. Good animal husbandry combined with common sense helps a lot. 39 people sickened out of how many hundreds or thousands that handle chicks? You probably have greater odds of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

We wash hands but i admit I still worry. What if my son touches the chickens, then touches his pants or the doorknob or whatever, then washes, then touches those surfaces again? Is that a big risk or am I being a worrywart?

I'm new to chickens but not new to farm animals. Even our dogs and cats pose a threat to our children with the number of parasites in those common pets. Young children should be supervised and if they are not able to follow reasonable sanitation rules, they may not be ready for such a pet. Pet turtles are banned because so many young children were acquiring salmomella from the pet turtles.

The answer may lie with the age of the children and how well they can remember to wash hands after handling pets and before they eat. It's a judgement call. GL

I'm a bit worried about it. I have a two year old that has had crazy diapers for two weeks now. We've had the chicks 2 1/2 weeks.

She had two days of bad diarrhea and cramping, but now just very loose stools with no other symptoms.

We wash hands like crazy after every chick visit, but she's two. She blows them kisses, sticks her fingers in her mouth....

I keep hand sanitizer by the brooder to use before we even head to the sink to wash hands. I am still concerned though. I have a 2 year old as well who scales the baby gate and loves to come back and tell me how gentle she was by touching them with one finger!
ep.gif

I think it's important to note the source of salmonella is bacteria inside the hen. If the chicks came from a hatchery where there are large numbers of chickens in confined spaces, you're more likely to have a chick carrying salmonella. The most important steps are to know your egg/chick source, the condition of their environment and then follow what the article says as far as giving chickens sufficient space, fresh air, fresh water, clean coop etc. Washing hands and wiping doorknobs is a good practice to be in for any household--especially with small children (as well as the other frequently handled items like remotes and keyboards.) The increase in food borne bacteria is rooted in the farms that are trying to put out enough meat to feed the American diet. If we can eat less meat, eat more local, and take time to support the farms in our own communities perhaps we can reverse the dangerous overcrowding and bacteria filled run off of some of these oversaturated feed lots. I say all this with tremendous respect for people who are making their livings as farmers and ranchers--large and small. It is our demand that dictates their production. But backyard poultry, well done, actually works against an increase of salmonella outbreaks. (Note, the first article pointed to one specific hatchery as the potential source.)

Back
Top Bottom