Salmonella Poisoning

::waves both hands::

I got my chickens about 3 years ago. Within about a month (if I recall correctly) I had nasty diarrhea and painful cramps. It might have lasted a week.

I didn't get it diagnosed. I was pretty clear, in retrospect, that I had gotten salmonella.

I was pretty casual about how I handled my chickens. I wasn't picking them up but I was cleaning up their poo daily. I was washing up before I prepared food for my husband (who never got sick)(our kids are grown so there was no one else at home) but, with respect to myself, I didn't take any special care. As long as I was outside I went from one activity to the next and it might be hours later when I washed up. I haven't mended my ways. I would still pick up a bolus of poo with my bare hands if it were in my way. But once it was over I've never felt ill again.

Put me in the Immunity; Use It or Lose It camp. I was that way before I owned chickens. I'll be that way the rest of my life. And I'm still here to tell the story.

All poultry don't have salmonella - mine were tested. They didn't have it. I'm also NOT careful with them. I know I should be, but I just don't care. I snuggle down with them in their bedding, I kiss them, I let them eat off my plate, and I don't wash my hands when I should. *Shrug* I've never been sick.

Here is some information. It says poultry CAN carry salmonella. Not that they do.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/food-safety/live-poultry-salmonella/live-poultry-salmonella.html

If you are worried I would call your avian vet and ask for a test. Also, the smart thing to do is handle poultry as if they have it by implementing the procedures that you already are. I am NOT being smart.
You didn’t come off as angry at all! I just realized I may have sounded pretty insensitive. 🥰
You did not and thank you for asking! I may look into purchasing some test kits as well. I’m just curious at this point!

I got my chickens about 3 years ago. Within about a month (if I recall correctly) I had nasty diarrhea and painful cramps. It might have lasted a week.

I didn't get it diagnosed. I was pretty clear, in retrospect, that I had gotten salmonella.

I was pretty casual about how I handled my chickens. I wasn't picking them up but I was cleaning up their poo daily. I was washing up before I prepared food for my husband (who never got sick)(our kids are grown so there was no one else at home) but, with respect to myself, I didn't take any special care. As long as I was outside I went from one activity to the next and it might be hours later when I washed up. I haven't mended my ways. I would still pick up a bolus of poo with my bare hands if it were in my way. But once it was over I've never felt ill again.

Put me in the Immunity; Use It or Lose It camp. I was that way before I owned chickens. I'll be that way the rest of my life. And I'm still here to tell the story.
The girls will still be taken care of and spoiled regularly. I’m not getting rid of them! But I may just wash my hands a bit more frequently, lol. Thank you for your reply!

When it comes to my own animals I completely agree! Now when it comes to strange people germs picked up in public places (flu viruses, covid etc...) I want no part of those disgusting diseases spread by strange humans and am mindful to wash/sanitize.

Speaking of that, that makes me wonder if my ongoing cramps and diarrhea might be from the new chicks, not too long after I got them. I haven't owned chickens in such a while that I've been wondering about it! I'm afraid I'm not taking health/safety precautions handling my chicks' waste and such so now I'm worried. 😅 Hopefully I'll turn out the same way as you and build immunity...

When it comes to my own animals I completely agree! Now when it comes to strange people germs picked up in public places (flu viruses, covid etc...) I want no part of those disgusting diseases spread by strange humans and am mindful to wash/sanitize.

With respect to the Coronavirus I'm TOTALLY with you! Containing that sucker is a matter of social responsibility and basic decency.

Back
Top Bottom