Salmonella threat, fact or fiction?

chickymom85

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2017
I recently ran across an article (https://www.simplemost.com/cdc-aski...cebook&utm_medium=partner&utm_partner=socnart) where the CDC recommends not "hugging" your chickens. They are saying it is leading to people getting salmonella. Though we don't kiss our chickens, my girls and I spend a lot of time holding them and they will hug them on occasion. I looked up salmonella in chickens and it sounds like it's pretty obvious if your chicken is sick with it or another virus.
My question is: if your chickens are happy, healthy, and mostly free ranged, is there really a danger of my family getting salmonella from our chickens?

There's always a risk, but washing hands and not doing things like kissing your chickens should keep risks low. I personally think a little chicken poop builds a stronger human immune system. We rarely get colds or the flu here where my clean city brother and his family are constantly sick.

Did you read the actual CDC report?
https://www.cdc.gov/zoonotic/gi/outbreaks/livepoultry.html

Yes, the threat is real, tho they don't say if any particular hatcheries have had virulent outbreaks(as they have in the past).

Chickens that don't appear sick can carry enough salmonella to make a human sick.
But really just wash your hands, thoroughly, with soap and running water, keep little kids away from them unless very closely supervised, and yes keep them away from your face.

ETA: the chicken sweater thing in the first linked article is ridiculous,
please don't put those on your birds they will not appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thank you've all for your advice. I didn't scroll down far enough and missed the chicken sweater thing until now. How funny! No, I don't put clothes on the chickens and we definitely do not kiss the chickens!!

You should be okay then. All chickens do carry a risk, but that doesn't mean we can't show them affection. Mine are all so sweet, but they get a lot of human contact. They don't see people as a threat, but as a friend. I think this is very important, also. I want to be viewed as the dominant in the flock not as an intruder. We just have to be careful as with handling any animal.

Back
Top Bottom