Salmonella?! What do I do now????

Good point because salmonella is EVERYWHERE. The testing will tell OP definitively, but if it wasn't chickens, it'd be a turtle, or a hamster, or the dog, or the salad, or the potatoes, or the door knob, or the school restroom...

After my son was sick, i saw him put his mouth on the handle of the grocery store cart! I about puked. But since both of the kids tested positive, about 5 weeks apart, it's assumed to be from the chicks. Hoping the results come back otherwise!

It's true about store-bought food. It's enough to make you be scared to eat out or buy anything in the store! It's a shame of how much food is recalled and wasted due to salmonella, e.coli, and other dangerous stuff found in there such as bits of metal. It makes you wonder what's going to be found next. Store-bought food is getting dangerous, I tell you. It already is with all the cancer-causing artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and GMO's. I am a gardener, and like to grow my own food because I know what is, and what's not on it. If more people were gardeners, the world would be a little healthier.

Again, salmonella is bacteria not a disease. Chickens don't carry salmonella. Their poop does. It's not the chickens fault, and everything has salmonella. Please don't blame the chickens. I'm sure my chickens have salmonella on them somewhere. I would never consider getting rid of them for being normal. But you do what you need to do to keep your kids safe.

Just make sure you wash your eggs. Cooking them will kill the salmonella anyway.

Right! Proper food prep will kill anything you'd come in contact with, anyway. I always wash my eggs with a restaurant grade bleach solution, drop of dawn dish soap and warm water. I did it with store bought eggs, too because I like eating cookie dough and brownie batter. Never been ill; ate room temperature sprouts once at a sandwich bar in a reputable deli and threw up everything but my memories.

You do what's right for you but I personally wouldn't get rid of chickens for salmonella bacteria being present. If I thought that way I'd have to consider everything with potentially harmful bacteria and would never eat a meat, raw fruit of veggie or seafood again!

Again, salmonella is bacteria not a disease. Chickens don't carry salmonella. Their poop does. It's not the chickens fault, and everything has salmonella. Please don't blame the chickens. I'm sure my chickens have salmonella on them somewhere. I would never consider getting rid of them for being normal. But you do what you need to do to keep your kids safe.

The CDC has concerns about the particular strain that my kids tested positive for. Apparently, it's not a run of the mill strain that chicks carry in their feces. They are treating it more as a contamination, than an infection. I would love for my chicks' results to come back as a different strain and them to be vindicated! Fingers crossed!

The CDC has concerns about the particular strain that my kids tested positive for. Apparently, it's not a run of the mill strain that chicks carry in their feces. They are treating it more as a contamination, than an infection. I would love for my chicks' results to come back as a different strain and them to be vindicated! Fingers crossed!

Oh gosh, that is scary! I hope your chicks get the all clear, too!

Back
Top Bottom