Salpingitis and a vey large mass

MandS

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2016
Berkshire, UK
Hi

We have a Red Sexlink rescue hen (Rosie) who has been with us 2.4 years. She stopped laying about 8 months ago and moulted, then after, never laid again. We just thought she'd reached the end of her laying life.

3 days ago, I noticed her tail was not upright (not down though) and she was drinking a lot. I took her inside in a cage and called the vet. There was no crop issue, her breathing was fine, no cyanosis etc. However she did lay a lash egg, a little one, then a day later something the size of a quail's egg. I thought salpingitis and the vet confirmed it but she has an internal mass that he can feel which he says is about the size of an orange. She is on antibiotics and meloxicam for pain relief/reduce swelling.

She is still here, clearly not well and eating small amounts but still drinking lots. She is not in pain, doesn't cry at all and is content to just sit on your lap. She has lost a lot of body mass - she doesn't look any smaller but I can feel her keel all the way down and her legs are the thinnest I've ever felt on an adult bird. Yet, this time last week, she was as normal (in behaviour at least) as she has always been. I am guessing the mass is restricting her stomach. She poops very little pellets and lots of fluid.

So my questions are threefold:

1. Is there any possibility that this mass of stuff could ever pass naturally - and if so, is there anything I can give to aid it?

2. Removal of her reproductive system. Apparently it can be done but he says survival rates are low because it is like "doing an operation on an exploded diagram". Apart from one example on the web about a 13 year old boy and his chicken, I cannot find anything else. Anyone had it done?

3. If neither of the above two are possible/sensible, he is suggesting an implanted contraceptive (if she perks up of course) which may prevent it getting any worse.

Our hens are pets, so they get treated like all other pets, so I will do what I need to do to try to get the best for her.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Due to her body condition I'd try the implant and see how she responds. Yes, I've seen hens have this kind of surgery and the key to success is to do it early before the mass is too big. Avian anesthesia has come along way in the last five years but there are always risks. Good luck with her. You are to be commended for taking such good care of her.

Hi @MandS

As the vet already explained that the removal of her reproductive system would most likely kill her and felt an orange sized mass in her body, I would think it is too late for the implant.

At this stage I think the only thing left to do, would be to keep her comfortable and supply Metacam for possible pain. And keep a close eye on her so to notice when it is time to end her suffering.

Thank you both.

I felt the lump today and frankly I was shocked. I cannot understand how I missed it as I often have cuddles with the girls and especially the very friendly ones, of which she is one. It's huge, at the back on her right hand side below her vent. Hard and solid - how did I miss that!

She is indoors, as she has been since Monday, and is warm and in a quiet room with a gentle classical radio station playing quietly in the background. We are orally giving her the pain relief and antibiotic as she is not eating ANYTHING today. Yesterday she was excited about corn and tuna. Today, nothing, not even blueberries or scrambled egg will tempt her. She is just drinking, sitting down and sleeping.

Today is day 2 of the antibiotic, so she has just had her night time dose. They say it takes two days but I think I am watching a little hen shut down. She isn't in pain, she will still talk to you when you speak to her, but she is fading.

Very sad and I hope there is a turnaround overnight, but I doubt it. I have put her to bed now and just said goodnight and thanks for all the eggs and good times. Gave her a stroke and closed the door. Very hard but other than sit with her all night (which I did last night by the way), it's all I can do and tonight I need to sleep in my bed!

Any pearls of wisdom will still be gratefully accepted but I have a feeling she would never recover enough to be operated on, judging by today's decline. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you both.

I felt the lump today and frankly I was shocked. I cannot understand how I missed it as I often have cuddles with the girls and especially the very friendly ones, of which she is one. It's huge, at the back on her right hand side below her vent. Hard and solid - how did I miss that!

She is indoors, as she has been since Monday, and is warm and in a quiet room with a gentle classical radio station playing quietly in the background. We are orally giving her the pain relief and antibiotic as she is not eating ANYTHING today. Yesterday she was excited about corn and tuna. Today, nothing, not even blueberries or scrambled egg will tempt her. She is just drinking, sitting down and sleeping.

Today is day 2 of the antibiotic, so she has just had her night time dose. They say it takes two days but I think I am watching a little hen shut down. She isn't in pain, she will still talk to you when you speak to her, but she is fading.

Very sad and I hope there is a turnaround overnight, but I doubt it. I have put her to bed now and just said goodnight and thanks for all the eggs and good times. Gave her a stroke and closed the door. Very hard but other than sit with her all night (which I did last night by the way), it's all I can do and tonight I need to sleep in my bed!

Any pearls of wisdom will still be gratefully accepted but I have a feeling she would never recover enough to be operated on, judging by today's decline. Thanks again for your help.
I had a rescue hen go through the exact same thing, but the tumors were in a large cluster and not one large mass. I did the same for my girl, but she stopped eating, her crop slowed due to the obstruction, and she died in her sleep. Alone. Without her flock or even me there.

Honestly, I wish I'd put her down earlier because she was suffering. When my girl's body was necropsies, the technician said that nothing the vet or I could have done would have saved her at that point. I feel kind of selfish now for not seeing how much she was suffering sooner. Our chicken girls mean a lot to us, and I thought if I just tried one more thing, I would have been able to save her. I have to take comfort in the fact that she'd had a great second life with fresh air and green grass and good food and lots of love.

I just wanted to share with you my experience. I am not opining one way or the other, and I don't know what you're seeing or anything. I am so sorry this is happening to her, and I can tell that whatever you choose to do will be done with love.

Thank you. It is not easy but I do believe she is not suffering. She is quietly in her cage (which is quite big) just sitting down, sleeping and then getting up for water. She is weak. She has not eaten now for 2 days - she is not even tempted by cut up grapes or blueberries.

I phoned the vet who suggested force feeding her but her crop is absolutely full of liquid (due to her excessive drinking) that I am concerned it will overflow and she could aspirate.

I am tempted to give her something in the water. What does anyone think. I thought of manuka honey in water or just plain old white sugar. Manuka being such a good thing, I am more favourable to that.

I simply don't know if there is anything I can do for her now. She is still getting the antibiotic and pain relief (meloxicam). She is peaceful at least.

Any advice is always welcome - particularly around giving her any nourishment.

As my husband has said about our dogs, you know going into it that the relationship will end sadly. But they give us so much joy that you do it over and over, because the joy is so much bigger and stronger than the pain.

This is the hardest part of any relationship with an animal. Hugs for you and your wonderful friend. :hugs :hugs

Thank you. I was advised by the rescue hen charity (BHWT) to consider some Emeraid Omnivore, which fortunately my vet had in stock. I have given her a bit as a drink, and she had some (not much!) but it was a start. She drank the manuka/water mix earlier, which she seemed to enjoy. She even tried to peck some sweetcorn, got it in the beak, but never actually managed to swallow one - but yesterday, she completely ignored it.

However it isn't looking straightforward. Her crop is very full of water. This is not how it was when I brought her in on Monday - it was more or less flat but she is drinking continually because it is a big jug and I think they kind of get excited by water. Still she needs so I cannot remove it but the crop is big. I have smelled her breath and it is not sweet/sour smell, so I do not think it is sour crop. But it does make it more difficult to pump in the meloxicam and anything else.

If anyone her has used Emeraid, please can you advise what dosage you gave. I have mixed a small amount (2 x 5ml spoonful's) but it is too much volume for her. So how much would you use for a very thin 1.6Kg chicken and can I make it with less water so it can be syringed into her without the risk of too much fluid going in and causing regurgitation?

As you now know what is going on, here is a picture of the patient (Rosie) in the nursery cage. She is a very sweet natured and friendly little hen.

Rosie - unwell.jpg

Last edited:
This is the hardest part of any relationship with an animal. Hugs for you and your wonderful friend. :hugs :hugs
This is so true. My daughter asked me yesterday why I would even consider getting any more hens because I am always extremely sad when they die. I tried to explain that, even though it hurts like hell, it also brings so much joy whilst they are with us. Plus, as these are rescue hens, then they also get a much nicer life than they have had previously and they don't get slaughtered just because they are moulting.

Back
Top Bottom