Sam Faverolles - beard constantly wet and now getting pecked raw....

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
Wondering if any of you out there with Salmon Faverolles have had problems with their beards getting wet and STAYING wet through the winter? Didn't seem to be bothering them, so I left it alone, but I think their being wet makes the skin on their neck more visible because now they're getting picked at and my 2 SF girls have big bald patches on their necks
sad.png

Should I separate them from the others? Not sure that would even help because I've seen them picking at each other too. Should I trim what's left of the beards so they don't get wet anymore? One is worse than the other with getting herself so wet in the water.

I'm bummed cuz I LOVE their sweet puffy beards! Will they not grow back now until the next molt?

I saw on another post that there's an anti-picking treatment to put on...is it called "blu kote"?

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited:
Yes, try some Blukote, but wear old clothes and rubber gloves or you'll be sorry! You'll also be a smurf!

Chel

some nutritional deficiencies will also exacerbate pecking problems... (yes separate as you could have a blood bath on your hands if you do not!)
Get some aviaCharge 2000 (online from McMurray or Strombergs) or go to a petstore and look in the (cage bird section) for a molting supplement and make sure it has METHIONINE listed as an ingredient and give that to them... this is the deficiency most often assoc with feather pecking. It may also be due to boredom however by adding this supplement at least you will know you have addressed any possible nutritional cause .

Just wanted to say thanks!

I'm going to try the AviaCharge2000. I took a look at BlueKote at the store and it looks HORRIFIC!! I just know I'd end up a smurf
wink.png
and so would Laverne and Shirley!

The picking seems not to be getting much worse....and when what's left of their beards are dry, the bald spots get covered over.

Has anybody out there with Salmon Faverolles had this problem with a constantly wet beard?

I have two bantam Salmon Faverolles and I don't have that problem with them staying wet. They do seen to get more food/ juice/water on their muffs then my EE's.
I also use Blu-Kote. I have it on hand for my horse. Its great to hide bald and/or bloody spots to pervent picking and it is also antibacterial. I did a few practice spots and found that is easy to use. A great product to keep around for boo-boo's.

I've used Blu-Kote with success with my chickens too. Since you know about the staining and possible mess ahead of time it doesn't have to be a problem there. Just wear rubber gloves. Mine is in a spray bottle, but you might have better luck with beards by pouring some on cotton balls and applying it that way.

I have one Faverolles rooster whose beard seems to stay wet.
sad.png
This is my "special needs" guy who had some trouble hatching. The others don't seem to have a problem (and neither do my bearded Wheaten Ameraucanas), although occasionally one hen does get a muddy face when it rains. However, this isn't the same as poor Henri who gets wet THROUGH.

I wish I had advice for you as to keeping the beards dry. I had come to the conclusion that Henri's problem was that he is disabled and can't groom very well (or reach his oil gland). I'm not sure what the issue might be with your Favs, though.

Hmmmm....maybe I'll be a little more brave and give that Blu-kote a try after all. Mac's suggestion of a cotton ball made me wonder if maybe using a Q-tip would help keep things manageable.

I think the issue with my SF is a "drinking problem"
wink.png
...whenever she takes a drink she just gets her beard completely soaked through. I've thought about trimming it, but I'm not sure that's a good idea either!

Thanks everybody
smile.png
I'm off to Country Max....

Back
Top Bottom