Same breed deaths question.

Kay Killens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Hi. Looking for your ideas on deaths.

I have 15 hens of various breeds that I bought at the same time and are now one and a half years old that I raised as chicks ordered from McMurrays. All were ordered with vaccines for Mareks and Cocciosis. They have all been healthy.

In August I lost a Cream Legbar that the vet suspected had more than one issue. Now in October, within four days of each other, I lost my other two Cream Legbars. No other breed has shown problems.

Symptoms:
1. The first hen stopped laying, became lethargic, stopped eating. She died within three or four days of showing problems.
2. The second was always smaller, had never laid, and was found with what appeared as a broken wing. She continued eating and drinking well. She lived two days after showing signs of distress.
3. The third had shown no signs of issues and was found dead in the run during free ranging time.

Does anyone have any opinion of why I lost three of the same breed (I only had three Cream Legbars) and all other hens of different breeds seem to be very healthy? I did not have a necropsy but will should I lose any more.

They are on a quality layer feed, are given a few treats, and get to free range several hours a day. No issues before the loss of these three.

Thank you for any advice.
Kay

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your losses.

Unfortunately without necropsy it would be very hard to know why they died. I see that you did seek vet care early on - did the vet make any indication as to what they thought might be the problem(s)?

Depending on where you live, your state lab can do a necropsy for you. It's usually cheaper than going through a vet. Here's a list of labs https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Since all were the same breed - possibly some type of genetic issue, but disease is a very good possibility. Marek's disease is always something to consider. The Marek's vaccine may help prevent the formation of tumors, but does not prevent infection from the virus.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Unfortunately without necropsy it would be very hard to know why they died. I see that you did seek vet care early on - did the vet make any indication as to what they thought might be the problem(s)?

Depending on where you live, your state lab can do a necropsy for you. It's usually cheaper than going through a vet. Here's a list of labs https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Since all were the same breed - possibly some type of genetic issue, but disease is a very good possibility. Marek's disease is always something to consider. The Marek's vaccine may help prevent the formation of tumors, but does not prevent infection from the virus.
Thank you! They were sweet girls. I will definitely attempt to have a necropsy done should I lose another. I’m thinking genetics issue.

Back
Top Bottom