Same neighbor different dog!

When I realized the same dog which wiped out my first flock had returned and attempted to gnaw another hole in the fence, I got up early in the morning and sat down with a cup of coffee and my loaded rifle ready to take care of business. Dogs just "disappear" in our neighborhood when they cause problems. I'd hate to shoot a dog, but if it gets caught more than once, its in the crosshairs 2nd time. Fortunately I've never had to shoot....yet. I've spent hours fortifying my pens. I've lost birds to hawks, dogs, mink, owl, and bear. What next? I probably won't be suprised!

The advice earlier about taking pictures and reporting incidents to the sheriff's dept. is good advice, it is what I have so far been doing, my neighbor is a major d-bag and thinks it is his right to allow his dogs to damage other's property, I think deep down he believes since his daddy is rich and they own more land than the rest of us he somehow has right to come on our property and do as he likes.

Pictures and police reports will stand by your side in court if anyone bothers you about shooting the dogs or if you want to sue the jerk for damages. These dogs around here are going to be dead as soon as they make a move toward my animals, I am not waiting for them to kill a bunch of them first.

thumbsup.gif
I agree.....neighbors knocked on our door last night and asked if we had seen their dog. I did not do anything to it, but I have to say I was happy to hear it was missing. Hopefully it wont come back! that is what happens when people allow their dog to roam.....they disappear!

Last edited:
Our neighbor whose dogs killed some of my chickens (and who I reported to the sheriff) came by the other day. He apologized and insisted on compensating me. He also told me that when the deputy went by to let them know I'd reported it he ended up shooting one of the dogs. Deputy said he was menacing. So, I don't have to worry about that one and the owner said he's getting rid of the other or will shoot it himself. He wasn't happy that I reported it, was less happy the deputy shot his dog but was very apologetic and understanding as to why I reported it in the first place.

Our neighbor whose dogs killed some of my chickens (and who I reported to the sheriff) came by the other day. He apologized and insisted on compensating me. He also told me that when the deputy went by to let them know I'd reported it he ended up shooting one of the dogs. Deputy said he was menacing. So, I don't have to worry about that one and the owner said he's getting rid of the other or will shoot it himself. He wasn't happy that I reported it, was less happy the deputy shot his dog but was very apologetic and understanding as to why I reported it in the first place.
I am glad that this has worked out for you and you did not have to kill the dogs yourself. It is a shame that people will not simply do as they should and keep their dogs on their property. I sure hope that this is the end of your problems with neighbors dogs.

They are trying to find another rental in town. Whew! I hope the new renters don't have dogs (that like to eat ducks & chickens).

Some of my chickens killed by a neighbor who is a mile and a half awY ive cought them twice called the cops they gave the dogs back and he got fines paid rhem but i got nothing ive been dealing with trying to prove there price asking on a maran sight for people to post prices of what a 5,6,7 and some 8 maRans colored egg layers that are 22-32 weeks old are worth than they said they would ban me for spam mail i just am at the point of giving up my eggs won grand champion and reserve champion 6 years in a row at rock county and all i get is battered down every time i turn around, i origanaly got into the marans because my brother fought cancer for 5 years than he died i needed something to distract me from my depression of loosing him bit this has just been too much having these dogs kill my babys 6 times and i cant find anyone who sells winning pullets of that age to send me prices to put with my lawsuit i cant take it any more ive been trying since november he says he would only give me 15 each that isnt squat ive had it i feel shot down and worthless im Just a housewife and what little i get from eggs i spend on grosherys feed is so expensive .....but i love to see them in my yard in summer in there groups waundering about small clames will cost more than he will pay but he needs to be tought a lesson....what to do????

Wow, that is terrible! Boy, I hope karma kicks their butts. Sometimes you don't need to do anything, and it works out in the end. If they were any sort of decent people they would compensate you for your losses. My neighbors payed me for my killed chickens, but the other neighbors dog killed 7 ducks and said thier dog didn't do it (even though several dead ducks and the remaining survivor was on thier property). Soon therafter, they lost their beloved russian blue cat, worth much more than the ducks. Last time their dog was lurking around my duck pen, I eyeballed my compound bow but, then I was like; naaah. I hope they get thiers in the end. I hate people like that! Good luck, and I hope you can get more prize winners!

Back
Top Bottom