Same problem but worse

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheMallardDuck, Aug 19, 2019.

1. TheMallardDuck

TheMallardDuck Chirping

Oct 29, 2018
    So I’ve arrived back from my holiday/vacation and I was only gone for three days. Now the other two ducks seem even more unfriendly to the other duck. Our drake used to chase our female duck around if he felt she was getting ‘too much attention’. Now he just chases her around even more and bites her harder for no reason. The other female duck doesn’t bite but they aren’t as friendly. We let our female duck inside so she can get some extra food as the drake can chase her from food sometimes. When we let her in, the other two ducks usually call for her and try to find her. Today they did not, also when the female duck usually goes outside again they usually quack a bit to ‘welcome’ her back but they didn’t. Any reason why this may be?

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Pictures of your Birds?

3. TheMallardDuck

TheMallardDuck Chirping

Oct 29, 2018
    Here E6560E46-9185-49E3-A007-FD367C774931.jpeg The female here is the one getting chased and the drake is the duck which is chasing her. These pictures were took a few weeks ago. I don’t have a photo of the other female duck on my phone currently.

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

She possibly is mature and he is getting high hormones. Or she isn't receptive yet so he chases her.

5. TheMallardDuck

TheMallardDuck Chirping

Oct 29, 2018
    She lays eggs sometimes but used to lay eggs once a day a couple of months ago. This problem carried through then but now is significantly worse.

chickens really likes this.
  6. chickens really

Hmmm..Agressivly trying to breed her? I'd separate him because he might have a hormone imbalance.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

@TheMallardDuck how long has this been going on? Does it look like aggressive mating or just being aggressive period with out mating?

8. TheMallardDuck

TheMallardDuck Chirping

Oct 29, 2018
    It was before mating because I remember that once the biting and chasing was so bad that we kinda needed to block her up away from the others and then we checked their house and there was our first egg.

chickens really and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. TheMallardDuck

TheMallardDuck Chirping

Oct 29, 2018
    We can’t really separate him for two reasons.
    1. We have nowhere to put him.
    2. The other female and him always stick together and they find each other and call for each other even if they are only a bit far away.

chickens really and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Was this one he is chasing introduced separately or have all 3 been together since young ducklings?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: