San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Hi All,

I've been hatching and breeding like crazy. I can't tell you why... because I like chicks I suppose.

Anyhow, I have Buckeyes, Delawares and Olive Eggers if anyone is looking. I also have been buying by the pallet for Modesto if anyone is looking for Organic, corn/soy free lay pellets.

Send me a PM, I'm not always great about checking back here!

Lisa

So they are building a "Tractor Supply" store in Ramona. Does anybody know when it is supposed to open?
For the first time yesterday I have heard that there is also another one planned in Lakeside on Old Highway 80, actually the East County feed store had a petition to sign against it. Wow, that is interesting.
I was looking for a 100/110 Gallon "Tuff stuff" or "Little Giant" brand stock water tank. I like to support our local stores but here is an example:
Tractor supply has it for a little over $60 while the local feed store was selling it for $117. Any suggestions where to get one?

So they are building a "Tractor Supply" store in Ramona. Does anybody know when it is supposed to open?
For the first time yesterday I have heard that there is also another one planned in Lakeside on Old Highway 80, actually the East County feed store had a petition to sign against it. Wow, that is interesting.
I was looking for a 100/110 Gallon "Tuff stuff" or "Little Giant" brand stock water tank. I like to support our local stores but here is an example:
Tractor supply has it for a little over $60 while the local feed store was selling it for $117. Any suggestions where to get one?
I want that same one and was willing to drive to Norco to get it because Tractor supply has Cattle panels in eight foot lenghts. (fencing project) So I figured it would be worth the fuel to get ten cattle panels and a water tank in one trip. But Dayng if there is one planed for Old HWy 80 I am going to check on the plans for that one.

I am not surprised a petition went out.... There are 6 feed stores in the Lakeside old 80 corridore

Carters Hay and Grain
East County feed
The Hay Guy (deals in only hay)
One on Main Street in Lakeside (dont know the name of it
Double S on Old Highway 8
and one more on Old higway 8 in Blossom Valley

Add to that
One more in Alpine
and one more in Descanso

NONE of them deliver to my house which is 60 miles east of El Cajon.

Campo Feed does but its like 60 bucks to deliver.... IF I were to buy 30 or 40 bales at a time I would do it.

As it is there is a fellow at Double S that lives ten miles from me.... I prepay for the hay and leave him Twenty bucks and he brings me a load on his last day for the week. Its a personal arrangement between him and me. Unless that arrangement changes I wont be changing from Double S. But I certainly will buy other "stuff" if the prices are good.

deb
"off to go look at the Tractor Supply Corporate site..."

I am sure tsc can sell most things cheaper than the local guys can can even buy them for.

The death toll is sounding for them. It's sad but like the above examples, the consumer is going to buy where they get it the cheapest.

Of the six stores, one may survive. The one that gives the best service. I can guarantee their inventory will change though. They will become a convenience store for farm supplies.

The smart one will get rid of high dollar inventory while they can

Last edited:
Crazy, I understand completely. Just as every business has a bottom line... so do the customers.... We only have so much in our budget.!

Tractor supply has been opening many stores in California this year. They opened one last month in Norco and are opening two in San Diego this summer.
If I owned a feed store anywhere near where they are opening I would sell the inventory and close. Sadly their is no way to compete with their prices.
For example a little Giant incubator is 117.00 at the local feed store, it's 60.00 at Tractor Supply. Chicken feed is $6.00+ a 50lb bag cheaper for the same feed.
They are the Walmart of feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom