San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Happy New Year Everyone!

I said I will not acquire anymore chicks/chicken this year, as I went overboard last year and got way too many - not counting the CLB chick shipment due any day now from Greenfire Farms that I haven't told my husband about! Why tell him until I absolutely have to, right?

The thing is, last year, I crossed a black Isbar roo with a CLB hen and successfully hatched one black sex-linked pullet (I named Blackie) that is now my favorite hen/chicken in my almost four years being a backyard chicken owner. (I no longer have the Isbar roo as I only wanted to experiment to find out the outcome of the cross, and because I couldn't keep roosters in my neighborhood. He was beautiful and I would have loved to keep him but he didn't cooperate and crowed even with a collar.) Blackie started laying in December when she was only six months old, and her first egg didn't look like a pullet egg as it was large. After several weeks, her egg is now x-large size. I love the mossy green egg color - passed through the Isbar gene I assume, and the firmness of the egg white - a characteristic I noticed from the CLB eggs. Anyway, I now want to recreate this cross and make a few more black sex-linked hens that lay beautiful large/x-large green eggs. Oh, and did I mention that since she started laying, I get 6 and sometimes 7 eggs from her per week. By the way, her black feathers have some green iridescent that glow in the sun.

So, does anyone have Isbar chicks? If you do, please PM me and let me know what you'd like for them. Since I am getting a shipment of day-old CLB chicks this week, day-old chicks are preferred so I can brood them together. Thanks.

Very cool Avatar @perchie.girl !!
big_smile.png

I ordered and bought a bag of scratch and pecks organic cracked corn in the only available size. I am looking for someone local who'd like to split it. Half would be about $25 for 20 lbs.

I'd like organic corn the next time you order. My chicks are still tiny but you can count on me the next time around. :)

I wanted to ask if anyone has or gets a d'uccle rooster and needs a good home please let me know. I have 18 full size hens and 1 porcelain d'uccle hen. I like to have 1 rooster but with my 1 bantam I want a little rooster.

I wanted to ask if anyone has or gets a d'uccle rooster and needs a good home please let me know. I have 18 full size hens and 1 porcelain d'uccle hen. I like to have 1 rooster but with my 1 bantam I want a little rooster.

I have d'Uccles, but no extra adults right now. I may be hatching some new ones soon.
I do, however have a few other bantam roosters who are beautiful, nice guys seeking new homes. If you want to know more, shoot me a pm :)

Back
Top Bottom