San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

ozexpat - in my admittedly limited experience, hatchery vs. non-hatchery stock plays a big role, and also most people I know with Ameracaunas say they are actually quite broody while EE's, which get called Ameracaunas, are not. My hatchery Buff Orpington went broody once, and only after several others were brooding.

In other news, the chick with the broken is healed! She and her companions are out in the run in a dog crate - they still need a heat lamp at night but I open the crate when everyone is free ranging in the yard. They tried to hang out with the broody and her chicks, but mama chased them away.

Speaking of mama ... she's half Polish, and not very bright. The one chick that is genetically hers is dumb.as.a.post. Is this a Polish thing or is mama just special?
lol.png
This chick has a serious case of "I just don't know what to dooooo!" This morning I awoke to frantic chirping, and went out to find this chick standing in the rain crying because she had forgotten how to get up into the coop with mama and the others. It had taken her weeks to figure out she could jump and flap like the others, to get in and out, but I thought we'd climbed that mountain. Until the rain. So I had to go out in the rain and catch the little genius so she didn't freeze.

ozexpat - in my admittedly limited experience, hatchery vs. non-hatchery stock plays a big role, and also most people I know with Ameracaunas say they are actually quite broody while EE's, which get called Ameracaunas, are not. My hatchery Buff Orpington went broody once, and only after several others were brooding.

In other news, the chick with the broken is healed! She and her companions are out in the run in a dog crate - they still need a heat lamp at night but I open the crate when everyone is free ranging in the yard. They tried to hang out with the broody and her chicks, but mama chased them away.

Speaking of mama ... she's half Polish, and not very bright. The one chick that is genetically hers is dumb.as.a.post. Is this a Polish thing or is mama just special?
lol.png
This chick has a serious case of "I just don't know what to dooooo!" This morning I awoke to frantic chirping, and went out to find this chick standing in the rain crying because she had forgotten how to get up into the coop with mama and the others. It had taken her weeks to figure out she could jump and flap like the others, to get in and out, but I thought we'd climbed that mountain. Until the rain. So I had to go out in the rain and catch the little genius so she didn't freeze.
i just threw the table out there as it happened to be open. It was not meant to be more than an "of interest" post.

Even if a bird only goes broody "average" - if they chose to do it at the same time..............well.

lol.png

I have heard that Polish are dumber than rocks.
roll.png
lol.png

Every polish I've had always seems to be a few french fries short of a happy meal. I don't know if its the vaulted skull or the impared vision but they are very..."special" lol
hu.gif
I still love them though

I've only ever had 1 Polish hen and it's a white crested. She seems just as smart as the rest of my hens.....unless all my hens are 'special'....
D.gif

For you thrifty moms you may want to check this out:

http://www.sandiego.jbfsale.com/

Sale is today and tomorrow.
You can consign and sell, but to be honest I am not sure you get too much for your things if selling, but GREAT if you are buying.
I dropped off some of my kids stuff yesterday, more because I wanted it to be recycled than anything else, and was amazed by the quality and super prices. Seems it s half price tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom