San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Please, PLEASE tell me your secret with the Squirrelanator! We bought one years ago and after many months of trying, I got so mad I threw it out. DH decided to try again, so bought another, which has had zero success and now sits on the deck, empty. We did everything the directions and the guy at the store said. Still are overrun with the beasties.

Greetings from the other side of the pacific. I am just finishing up a six week stay. It's been fantastic to spend real time with my wife and family.

All the clothes generous people from this thread donated have been distributed to the orphans and needy. Thank you all.

I have done a lot in six weeks. We successfully performed AI on three gilts and I have three more set up for the procedure in ten days.

Our goats have all given birth and we ended up with 4 doelings from 4 kids. All 50% Nubian. I am now arranging a new buck for the next generation in our goat improvement program.

The most recent hatch saw good numbers of cream legbars, new Hampshire, both silver laced and white crested black polish as well as Breda fowl.

I placed an ad on the internet classifieds and was inundated with requests. I sold over a thousand dollars worth of birds and has to stop selling to keep birds to build by breeding stock. I need a good fifty RIR hens and thiry barred rocks and buff Orps just to handle the back yarders. I also had multiple enquiries for day old brown egg layers in orders of 500 to 1000 that I have to restructure for. It looks like I am going from a crazy idea of having a few eggs per day to eat to becoming a full blown hatchery.

Its the monsoon season and our roof has dissolved from the salt so we are in the middle of replacing it with plastic ribbed roofing. The project will take another week.

Our feed delivery is a ton every two weeks and we are mixing our own feeds manually. I designed a motorized over sized compost tumbler to handle 500lbs at a time. It will take a few weeks to be built.

My wife and kids have been great to be around. Being a full time dad is awesome and can't wait for my family together permanently.

Time for bed. I have 1.5 busy days left.

I hope your July 4 was grand

Hi all,
I am looking for gold partridge Dutch bantams. We recently lost our five year old Dutch banty hen and we liked her so much that we would like to have a few this time around. If anyone knows of any breeders in the San Diego area, please let me know. Thanks much!
Kristine

Please, PLEASE tell me your secret with the Squirrelanator!  We bought one years ago and after many months of trying, I got so mad I threw it out.  DH decided to try again, so bought another, which has had zero success and now sits on the deck, empty.  We did everything the directions and the guy at the store said.  Still are overrun with the beasties.
Are you setting it near the coop, putting plenty of chicken feed inside? Are the doors tightly secured (they can get back out if they're not)? If you're over run but not catching anything then you're definitely doing something wrong.

Did you come to to meet up? I get so busy with my kids and stuff, it's hard to know who's who.

I did! I spent most of the time chatting with Dana as I was buying her gorgeous splash Marans roo and her wheaten ameracauna. Between that and wrangling my twins and the heat we were in and out pretty fast!! Sorry I wasn't more social, I was determined to offload my Roos (no luck) except I stopped by Lobos country store on the way home and she heard the crowing and wanted both!

Please, PLEASE tell me your secret with the Squirrelanator! We bought one years ago and after many months of trying, I got so mad I threw it out. DH decided to try again, so bought another, which has had zero success and now sits on the deck, empty. We did everything the directions and the guy at the store said. Still are overrun with the beasties.

I'm so sorry, I overlooked your thread. We just put some dogfood and a bit of chicken feed in the very middle of the trap. I think we ended up getting 24 in total. But the other day I saw a big daddy of a ground squirrel sniffing around my coop - better put it out again!

make sure you give them a few days of free food with the doors open - then by the third day they will be lining up to become squirrel stew

Back
Top Bottom