San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

After a sad beginning today with my Sebastopol gander dying, I found new life under a call duck...
jumpy.gif

Quote: So far so good. I dont ride any more and barely drive due to disability. So shes still green broke to harness. Oh she does quite well but she doesn't have the miles necessary in my opinion to be fully broke...

Don't get me wrong I have had horses almost 50 years. Done lots of things with em... my Dressage trainer taught me how to long line then how to drive a light horse of hers. I trained my own colt half Standard-bred half Arab to harness.... We were partners for a good fifteen years.

Katee turned 21 on the 14th of this month.... And is living the life of Queen of the desert right now... Her farrier calls me
gig.gif
.... She wuvvvs her Johnny.... Matter of fact she prefers men any way... Tom my neighbor checks on her every three days when he feeds.

She gets a whole bale of Bermuda in her food dish (avocado crate) and she disassembles it over the next three days. Free feeding keeps her caloric intake steady as if she were grazing... Plus its something she likes without going nuts-o for it... without her getting too fat as well. Win Win.

Katee and I at Del Mar. farm implement class. I was driving with a Snapped ACL there.
That is called a work sled.... Bigger ones are called stone boats. used for hauling hay or rocks or feed around the farm.

deb

So far so good. I dont ride any more and barely drive due to disability. So shes still green broke to harness. Oh she does quite well but she doesn't have the miles necessary in my opinion to be fully broke...

Don't get me wrong I have had horses almost 50 years. Done lots of things with em... my Dressage trainer taught me how to long line then how to drive a light horse of hers. I trained my own colt half Standard-bred half Arab to harness.... We were partners for a good fifteen years.

Katee turned 21 on the 14th of this month.... And is living the life of Queen of the desert right now... Her farrier calls me
gig.gif
.... She wuvvvs her Johnny.... Matter of fact she prefers men any way... Tom my neighbor checks on her every three days when he feeds.

She gets a whole bale of Bermuda in her food dish (avocado crate) and she disassembles it over the next three days. Free feeding keeps her caloric intake steady as if she were grazing... Plus its something she likes without going nuts-o for it... without her getting too fat as well. Win Win.

Katee and I at Del Mar. farm implement class. I was driving with a Snapped ACL there.
That is called a work sled.... Bigger ones are called stone boats. used for hauling hay or rocks or feed around the farm.

deb

You're both awesome! My gypsies are very large girls and should be driven. I have barely started training with them. Will probably never drive them since I don't have any large harness or equipment. I am teaching one of the Chincoteague stallions to drive. I have a medium size cart. I also have minis and a mini cart. Thanks for sharing your horse!

Hello All,

For those interested, poultry judge Jim Adkins of the Sustainable Poultry Network will be in Ramona on June 4th giving a class on Sustainable Poultry Production:

http://sustainablepoultrynetwork.com/event/slow-poultry-ramona-ca/

Since Jim has also worked on the commercial side of poultry production, we can all learn how to make the best selections in our breeding pens!

Hope to see you there!
wee.gif

Hi everyone! Does anyone have a loving home available for a female Pekin rescued from Lake Murray? Her name is Miss Squeaky and, right now, Alaina Sims is taking care of her for me. She has been quarantined for over 2 weeks now and I think she's been de-wormed and had a round of anti-biotics because her eyes were having some kind of issue. She is better now, but is very lonely. I would like to see her go to a home with at least one or two more girls. I think she's about a year old. I'm not sure if she's ever laid an egg, yet. I don't think she's imprinted and she's a bit wary of people, but can be handled easily. I think she might have a "princess" personality, but I've only seen her interact with drakes. I don't know how she acts with females as there were none in her group at Lake Murray.

You can PM me here or, if you are a member of the California Poultry People, you can see my post in the group on Facebook.

I don't have an updated picture of Miss Squeaky, just the one I took of her the day I got her. She was a little underweight at that time.

Hey everyone. Long time to chat. I hope everyone is doing well.

I have to admit, I'm embarrassed to be asking this, but please help me to spend next Friday, May 8, 2015 with my son to attend his school Mother's Day Tea. I did this for my daugther when she was his age and I would like to be able to do the same for him. He's already asked me if I'd be going and it breaks my heart to tell him, 'Mommy doesn't know yet sweetie.'

I recently started a new job and have not yet accrued the enough hours to afford to take this time off. Taking one, unpaid day off I can typically afford to do, but that same week, Monday May 4th I have to go in for outpatient surgery. (If you want to ask questions about my surgery, please email me privately.) Since I don't have any sick or vacation leave on the books, that day is going to be unpaid. Depending on how I feel the following day, I may need to take one more unpaid day as well. As you can probably guess, as a single mother, it would be difficult to take 3 unpaid days in the same pay period and I have not yet built up my savings to a degree where I can compensate myself for the lost time, something I'm still in the process of working on.

Those who know me know that my children are my life and I would do anything for them. Please help me to spend this special moment with my son.

Many heartfelt thanks,
Valerie

http://www.gofundme.com/t87css

Actually I want the predators to stay.  Because I can train the existing ones...  the fences bite... (hotwire)....  Or My fortresses are too much work. 

If they stay they will defend their territory still  and keep the others out. 

I actually feed the Ravens my excess eggs... um er Fed the ravens.

The horse can take care of herself.... her number five hooves are frighteningly accurate...  I have seen her punch an eight inch diameter hole right through a plywood wall....  The corresponding chunk of plywood was found across the driveway about twenty feet away.  She is good with both rears and fronts.... 

The goats need a true barn to be locked up at night...  My bad.... I wont get them again till I have one.  I dont do dairy I just do weed eaters....

I actually don't begrudge the occasional loss to predation.  My loss but I know they gotto live.  Thats why I plan on a free range flock.  Guineas and Sumatras together....  The survivors will get to breed .... Wily and unfriendly is the best trait...

But I truly despise the feral dog predation ....  Got my goats....killed one and ran the other two off.  Once I get home I will follow SSS practice...  But I will do due dilligence to protect my goats...  I would love to have my horse get hold of the dog that decides to "play" goat games... 

Actually going to get a mammoth donkey or mule for herd protection....  They will take care of dogs that arent supposed to be there.

deb
Just beware that even a donkey will stomp a chicken or two when bored. Some recognize adult goats but will stomp babies. Just be sure to get one that has lived safely with the aforementioned animals. My chickens have learned to stay out of the young donkeys pens when they're home. When they're out to pasture the chickens quickly run in and feast, then run out again.

Hi I'm eddie, I have Peking ducks, blue Swedish ,and white Pekings .and turkeys currently , tho I want to start eating emus , I'm also looking for quick growing rabbits..

Im in the Bonita area , and would like to attend swaps or meets.
Hi Eddie. :welcome The next meet up in San Diego is at the Serama show in Ramona, June 6th. 9:00am
18055 Bluegrass Rd, Ramona CA All are welcome. $10 to sell birds, jams, soaps, or anything else you're peddling, but hanging out is free. :)

Back
Top Bottom