San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I have a 4 month old pullet that seems to have broken her leg. Does anyone know of a solution that would be around $200. I called a vet near me and they said it would be $325+ for the diagnostics and then the treatment would be additional $. I'd love to help her, but can't go broke doing it. Let me know if any of you have had a similar issue that had a satisfactory results.

If it is really broken then simple splinting with vetwrap may be an option for a couple of weeks.

Are you sure she has broken it, and is not just lame?

Presentation of lameness at 4 months is suspicious of mareks. Hopefully it isn't

If it is really broken then simple splinting with vetwrap may be an option for a couple of weeks.

Are you sure she has broken it, and is not just lame?

Presentation of lameness at 4 months is suspicious of mareks. Hopefully it isn't

I came home from vacation and she was limping and wouldn't put weight on it (or hardly any weight). While on vacation, I had tried to separate a different bird by tying some rope across the coop to create a "room" for a different bird that was recovering from a wound. She was bigger than the other birds and I didn't want them mixing for fear of pecking order fights while I was gone. The wounded hen healed nicely and it seemed peaceful in the coop when I returned, except that Lyla was limping. Later I found that the birds were using the rope to roost on and I had a lot of it it there trying to create a separation. My guess is she was using the rope to roost like the other birds and got tangled somehow and broke it. I had her in a baby coop with 7 other birds and next to another 9. No one is displaying any symptoms. She acts injured not sick. She eats and drinks fine, her poops look healthy. She gets around quite well for having a gimpy leg and is actually quite hard to catch every night when I bring her in. She holds it up when she's walking and just hops on her good leg. She sometimes limps on it but mostly hops on the good leg. She will lay down like in the picture. I first thought that she had sprained it, so I just babied her but it's been 3 weeks now without mobility improvement. I can't see or feel where a break is. She's able to maneuver the leg, but obviously doesn't want to put much if any weight on it. Does this sound like mareks? I thought that mareks made them act sick too? I'm not that familiar with mareks only that it is highly contagious and presents as weakness in the legs. Thanks for your reply. I'm so appreciative of any suggestions. Should I try and splint the leg? Even when I can't see where it's broken?

Last edited:
Did you feel the leg to see if it was broken? If it is , it needs to be splinted I would think. I too had a gimpy chicken but could not feel any break, I think her pain was in the hip. It took about two months to heal. I would not let your chicken roost up high. Get a cage and put her in there at night.

Did you feel the leg to see if it was broken? If it is , it needs to be splinted I would think. I too had a gimpy chicken but could not feel any break, I think her pain was in the hip. It took  about two months to heal. I would not let  your chicken roost up high. Get a cage and put her in there at night.

I have felt her leg multiple times, but can't feel anything that's different from the good leg. Also she doesn't act any different when I'm manipulating it either. I've tried to figure it out lots of times, but I can't get a read on where the problem is. She sleeps in my bathroom at night and runs around my backyard during the day by herself away from the other chickens. The chickens can see eachother, but can't bother eachother. I tried to keep her inside all day and night to get her immobile for 4-5 days but she seemed to be so depressed. She was so much happier outside.

Back
Top Bottom