San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Illia has some nice Shamo... somebody will want those, I'm sure! Do you ask for payment up front from the people you hatch for?

I just saw this ad: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/grd/2673345372.html... what is a California Gray?

I hope this storm isn't as bad as last weekends; I finally have things back under control here from all the excess water.

I have not used any peepers, but I'll be curious to see what you find out!

Quote:
I had a picker (Red jungle fowl). Cured her with 27% protein turkey feed for a week or 2. Had no problem since.

Last edited:
Lexan is a trade name for a Polycarbonate polymer. The original use was for Bullet proof jet Canopies. The kind that are formed all in one piece. Its also used in Space helmets.

Some call it Plexiglass but it is not. Plexiglass is made of acrylic. This may be where some confusion comes for use in construction. Plexiglass is more tender and tends to fracture more easily.

So if you want to put a window on your coop the best choice is Lexan.

Also for what its worth. Polycarbonate comes in many many many forms From big machinable blocks down to thin film that can be rolled. It has self lubricating properties so using it for a surface to glide another surface over is a common use. I have even used the film as a hinge in low profile applications.

I hope I haven't confused anyone.

quote from: http://www.coloradoplastics.com/blog-0/bid/42625/Polycarbonate-Lexan-vs-Acrylic-Plexiglas

"Each
of the two have benefits and drawbacks. Acrylic (plexiglass) is shinier and polycarb (lexan) is stronger. Acrylic is less expensive but easier to crack. Polycarb is more impact resistant but easier to scratch. They are both stronger and lighter than untempered glass; acrylic is 4x to 8x stronger than glass, while polycarb is about 200x stronger."

OK here is the shameless plug.

Debra Dixon
Senior Mechanical Designer
Dixon Design and Development
PM or Email me for contact info if you want.
I am a Mechanical Designer worked in industries from Aerospace to Telecommunications.
Looking for design work. Free lance or on contract.

Glad to be a newbie on this thread - thanks for the welcome! Regarding pinless peepers, I was just reading about those yesterday on BYC. From the posts I read it seems the folks who used them really liked them and said they were effective...

Quote:
Dana, A California Gray is a Dual Purpose breed, they crossed a Barred Plymouth Rock and a White Leghorn. Can be used as a meat bird or for its white eggs. They later used this cross to develop California Whites, a hybrid.

Hope that helps.

Nancy

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi
welcome-byc.gif

Well i just bought some from http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers/productinfo/PINLESS-P. So we'll see how it goes. They sure look funny. I bet they will pick at the plastic though. I wonder if I should just put it on the picker, or everyone so they are all on the same level.

Phage - I did try the turkey feed - it didn't seem to do the trick for the picker, but i think it helped the others grow some feathers back. Maybe i should do more scrambled eggs too.

Now cuz it is getting cold we're worried about the picker being by herself in the isolation coop. probably time to get out the heat lamp soon.

Quote:
Dana, A California Gray is a Dual Purpose breed, they crossed a Barred Plymouth Rock and a White Leghorn. Can be used as a meat bird or for its white eggs. They later used this cross to develop California Whites, a hybrid.

Hope that helps.

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy! Now I have learned my "something new" for today...
jumpy.gif

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi
welcome-byc.gif

Well i just bought some from http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers/productinfo/PINLESS-P. So we'll see how it goes. They sure look funny. I bet they will pick at the plastic though. I wonder if I should just put it on the picker, or everyone so they are all on the same level.

Phage - I did try the turkey feed - it didn't seem to do the trick for the picker, but i think it helped the others grow some feathers back. Maybe i should do more scrambled eggs too.

Now cuz it is getting cold we're worried about the picker being by herself in the isolation coop. probably time to get out the heat lamp soon.

Re only picker or picker plus pickees getting pinless peepers: per the posts I perused, the peepers were placed only on the picker to prohibit pecking - the plastic wasn't picked at. Now if pickees turn into pickers, pinless peepers should probably be placed on all the poultry at your place...
Gosh that was fun to write!
lol.png

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi
welcome-byc.gif

Re only picker or picker plus pickees getting pinless peepers: per the posts I perused, the peepers were placed only on the picker to prohibit pecking - the plastic wasn't picked at. Now if pickees turn into pickers, pinless peepers should probably be placed on all the poultry at your place...
Gosh that was fun to write!
lol.png

Aint illiteration fun..... hee hee
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom