San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:
Coastal, my three brown leghorns dependably laid almost an egg a day each for about 8 months, then in Aug/Sep they started molting and stopped laying entirely. I just got my first white egg yesterday, after almost 3.5 months. Today I got 2. The other nine laying pullets didn't experience such a long dry spell, but there were days in Dec. when I got only one egg from all my chickens. Frustrating, but I think they need a little time to rest their little bodies. I still think its a miracle that these small birds can create an egg in roughly a 24 hour period. The good news is the eggs are bigger after that first molt!

Quote:
When I had my coop built. Well, the main one. I am having others built. I scoured CL and did not find any. I somehow looked at Amazon and bought 6 rolls for $112.00 a roll shipped. They were 100ft rolls. I would have gone broke if I had to pay HD prices. 25ft =$49 plus tax.
ep.gif

Nancy

Quote:

Hmmm 4 months is a long time, I know they can go for quite a long while though, like when broody at least several months.

Maybe you have an egg eater and you just haven' caught trace of it yet?

My girls skipped 2 months with their recent molt.

Quote:
When I had my coop built. Well, the main one. I am having others built. I scoured CL and did not find any. I somehow looked at Amazon and bought 6 rolls for $112.00 a roll shipped. They were 100ft rolls. I would have gone broke if I had to pay HD prices. 25ft =$49 plus tax.
ep.gif

Nancy

You might also want to check Ransom Bros. in Ramona. They had the best prices when I was looking. HD prices for hardware cloth are ridiculous...

Quote:
Don't know why the 'subscribe' function doesn't seem to be working for you. You might want to check with the mods. If you're subscribed, you should be getting notifications when there are new posts.

Quote:
Don't know why the 'subscribe' function doesn't seem to be working for you. You might want to check with the mods. If you're subscribed, you should be getting notifications when there are new posts.

True. However I know they are getting ready to switch over to an all new BackYardChickens on Tuesday, that might have something to do with it? I would PM a moderator.
smile.png

Quote:

Hmmm 4 months is a long time, I know they can go for quite a long while though, like when broody at least several months.

Maybe you have an egg eater and you just haven' caught trace of it yet?

My girls skipped 2 months with their recent molt.

Yes it is normal for chickens to take a break, stop producing eggs. Each area and bird may differ. They do need the rest period when molting which occurs with the advent of winter shorter and colder days. Their bodies are requiring the protein to make new feathers and their hormones are signaling a rest.

What breed of birds do you have anyway ?

Back
Top Bottom