San Franciscan Chicken~!

Leha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Hello everyone! It's been years since I actually did the 'introduce yrself' thread on a forum, but after the wonderful response I received to my few posts, I just felt this desire to participate. :D

We're located in a little town right outside of San Francisco, in the Bay Area.. yep, our chickens each have their own laptop..... teehee.. okok.. just kidding. :p

Not only are we new to the website, but we're also new to the joys of owning chickens. Our girls came to us about 2 weeks ago when some friends of ours came by and asked if we would be willing to rescue these ladies. From what, I'm not sure, but the place they were staying was no longer willing to allow them refuge there. Everyone that knows me and my family, knows we're willing to rescue just about anything (and anyone!) that needs a home. We have two autistic daughters that adore animals, so we're always trying to give them new animal experiences when possible. We also have a 2yr old that learned how to say 'chickens' within 30 seconds of them arriving! We have a "shed" in the backyard (it's more like a miniature house) that we've called the 'Animal House' since we bought this place. It even has it's own furniture, to accommodate the various pets that we've had over the years. So when our friends asked, this seemed like a no brainer.. of course we would rescue them!

Much to our surprise, they arrived 3hrs later! They were inside the most dilapidated chicken box I had ever seen and they told us to keep them inside for a week before letting them out. I was truly appalled at the idea, but for the first few days, I did just that.During this time I drew up plans for their hen house, chicken run, etc. and made plans to build it the following weekend. Then our friends mentioned that their son wanted to sell his coop setup, so we offered them a fair price and they brought it over and helped us set it up. This was much preferable to the horrible conditions my girls were currently living in.

I had so many questions, but kept getting shrugged answers.. they weren't the folks that dealt with the chickens, it had been their father and he was getting too old to care for them properly. I asked my friends who also own chickens and they were helpful with some stuff, but other stuff even they were baffled. So I began looking for answers on the internet and found that many of my answers were readily available right here on BYC. :)

After reading many posts here on the site (even my husband has been reading!!) I really wished I had built our own coop, but I have plans to just modify the one we now have. I've bought the stuff needed for automatic feeders and waterers that were suggested and given instructions right here on BYC as well! And thanks to a couple members, I even know what 3 of my 4 birds are! Which I must say, I am quite grateful for.. because the first green egg we got would've been an insane shocker had I not been told 12hrs previously that we owned an EE. LOL!! Now we only need figure out what kind of bird Helen is.. then we'll be set!

All in all, I am absolutely loving my ladies! I don't know if I would be enjoying them quite as much, if it wasn't for all the help BYC has given me with the most simple of things.. so with that, I thank you all and end my introduction to this awesome forum/website. :)

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, this IS the place to be when you start in with poultry and even for those that have owned them for years find that these forums are just full of great knowledge and helpful members. I am glad you found BYC and were able to get the help you needed!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good reads on all the aspects of raising your new flock...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new babies!

Hello :frow an Welcome To BYC! Those hens were lucky you rescued them! The EE story is funny, I bet that green egg would have been a shocker if unexpected!

A pure gold egg would have been nicer, but, probably would break all your teeth. Please excuse me, up too early and too long - mostly on BYC. It's easy getting addicted to this website too.

Back
Top Bottom