Sand compacting

Sakmeht

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
So we have sand in our run - don't know which kind because my husband picked some up from a guy on Craigslist who was trying to turn his background into a beach and failed miserably - guess the cats were leaving deposits for him! I'm assuming it's a playground sand which I know isn't ideal. The hens have been on it for 3 months now.

So anyway, I was watering our backyard there was a 'whoopsie' and I came out to find standing water in the chicken run - eventually it dried but the left side is really compacted. I took a pitchfork to it and worked it up into some clumps. Will this even back out if the chickens stratch around in it? I know I'll need to replace it eventually with something like a mason sand... thanks for the response!

I have sand in my run and it's like yours is. It always gets pretty compacted with heavy rains. I rake it daily and the chickens help with this too. I do add a ton of sand each spring to replace what gets compacted and what gets removed with cleaning. Hope this helps!

I've got construction sand and mine compacts every day, too. I have to rake it all the time. So I don't think it's because yours is playsand. I wish now I'd have used playsand.

I mix the sand with playground bark chips outside in our rainy climate. The chips are thinker, so the chickens can churn things up easier. They also suck up the water.

Cat litter works well too
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone - we'll see how it goes. If it keeps compacting badly, I'll try to find a lighter more 'fluffy' type of sand.

Back
Top Bottom