1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand compacting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    So we have sand in our run - don't know which kind because my husband picked some up from a guy on Craigslist who was trying to turn his background into a beach and failed miserably - guess the cats were leaving deposits for him! I'm assuming it's a playground sand which I know isn't ideal. The hens have been on it for 3 months now.

So anyway, I was watering our backyard there was a 'whoopsie' and I came out to find standing water in the chicken run - eventually it dried but the left side is really compacted. I took a pitchfork to it and worked it up into some clumps. Will this even back out if the chickens stratch around in it? I know I'll need to replace it eventually with something like a mason sand... thanks for the response!

2. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I have sand in my run and it's like yours is. It always gets pretty compacted with heavy rains. I rake it daily and the chickens help with this too. I do add a ton of sand each spring to replace what gets compacted and what gets removed with cleaning. Hope this helps!

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've got construction sand and mine compacts every day, too. I have to rake it all the time. So I don't think it's because yours is playsand. I wish now I'd have used playsand.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It will be fine as soon as it dries well

Sand is sand.
    "Play" sand just gets rinsed more

Use the cheapest you can find, because the chickens don't care

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I mix the sand with playground bark chips outside in our rainy climate. The chips are thinker, so the chickens can churn things up easier. They also suck up the water.

6. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    yep sand is sand. It gets wet and compresses. Rake it once in a while is required. Poo pick up is real easy.

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Cat litter works well too [​IMG]

9. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone - we'll see how it goes. If it keeps compacting badly, I'll try to find a lighter more 'fluffy' type of sand.

10. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    The bark chips work wonders outside too.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by