Sand for flooring question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dandy1, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Dandy1

Dandy1 New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Olive, Oklahoma
    After reading about using sand on the coop floor I decided I'd like to try it so I've called Home Depot (as suggested on BYC) and asked for Contractor sand Or Construction sand and was told they dont carry it. Could it be called anything else? My only other option here in Oklahoma is plain ole river sand or playground sand. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. DanLeaAnn7

DanLeaAnn7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    I called several dirt/sand/gravel companies in our area that delivered. The main point you want to get across is that the sand needs to be dry and that you want contractor/construction sand. That is how I got my sand, I change it out every year, putting the old sand in the chickens run. HTH :)

3. Falcon Chickens

Falcon Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Falcon, Colorado
    Where I live we call it concrete sand, and I've seen it at Home Depot many times. I would think that river sand would work fine, also. It will have little pebbles in it that the chickens will use for grit. You don't want the playground sand; it's too fine. Also, depending on how much of it you need, if you have a landscape supply company around where you live, you will be able to get it there a lot cheaper than at Home Depot.

4. Budman

Budman New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Go get "masons" sand from a sand & gravel lot or masonry supply company-either a pickup load or use 5-gllon buckets

5. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
  6. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    River sand will be good and much easier to get in bulk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by