Sand from driveway for run

leight54

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Southwest New Hampshire
This winter, we had sand spread on the ice in our driveway. I've swept (and swept and SWEPT) it into a pile, and am wondering why I can't use it in my chicken run. It has a variety of coarseness, from pebbles to fine sand, and includes quite a bit of mica. Fellow New Englanders? Do you know if mica would be harmful to my chickens? Do you have a lot of it in your soil? It's shiny, so they might be attracted to it.

Thanks!

Quote:
I would say No cause you cant be sure there is no salt in it right ? If you are sure it is totally salt free than I guess It'd be ok

Mica is not generally toxic so I would not worry about that. And whatever salt was in it has presumably long since washed out onto your lawn, the road ditch, etc etc. So I'd say go for it -- ALTHOUGH, it is likely to be such a small amount of sand as to not make any real *difference* to your chicken run *either*, at least not after the first few weeks when it gets mixed in.

If it were me, I'd save it in a bucket for next winter's use on the driveway. Seriously
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom