Sand/Gravel Mix???? Really???

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
Hi everyone!
I am trying to decide what to put as flooring in my chicken run. We have lots of wood chips that would be good to use but i have heard that they turn to mud and mold pretty fast. Is this true? I also saw that a lot of people said that a sand/gravel mix is good. How much sand vrs. how much gravel?? What does this work best on? Do you have to rake it every so often?
Thanks Guys! Ill post pics when its done and the girls move in:weee

Someone told me #4 sand....we are getting this next weekend.
wink.png

I just had my sand delivered last week! It was mason sand, it was called here.

It was really fun hauling a ton of it to the coop, but not too bad!

Don't use the wood shavings as they get nasty when they get wet and matted down. Sand is definately better. I like to use a fairly coarse sand....I don't know what kind it is.

Um... we just use the dirt that was already there. Never thought of buying something to cover it with! Is this to keep the mud down? You'd need a pretty deep layer and something to hold it all in and keep it from spreading out into the rest of the yard. I do dump dry leaves and some weeds in there every so often which has built up over time and they love to scratch through it.

A lot of places you can get 'roadbase' or it may go under another name -- what they use to make the foundation for roads, and to make gravel driveways etc. It is a mix of dirt and sand and rounded gravel (here, anyways - you would want to see a sample of your local stuff before buying). Places I've lived it is pretty much the cheapest bulk aggregate product there is, and it seems to work fine for a chicken run.

Have fun ("fun" may not be the correct technical term for moving lots of heavy material w/ wheelbarrow and shovel, I suppose),

Pat

Back
Top Bottom