Sand in duck’s bottom

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
Hello brains trust! I have a peculiar issue I’m searching a name for.
There is a duck where I volunteer, and she has what seems to be sand in her abdomen. Probably a litre’s worth. It drags on the floor like a balloon.
I’ve had hens with ascites before but I’m sure this is not that, you can feel in her abdomen that it very much feels like sand, it sags right down. Every couple of weeks we clean her and remove as much sand as possible, by sticking our finger in and scraping it out, though it only ever removes a bit. I’m not sure where the rest of the sand actually is- whether it’s stuck in a cavity, in her intestines, rectum. I’ve tried researching and have been unable to find any similar conditions, would love to know what your thoughts are! I also can’t be 100% sure that it’s sand, but it’s definitely not fluid.

Unfortunately I don’t know much else about her, except she’s several years old, has been having this issue for years. Still poops, eats, regularly.

D0B6D330-9008-4D20-92CF-3C9F5730A740.jpeg
I’ve drawn where her abdomen sags, not sure if that helps. Looking at the anatomy, is it possible that her gizzard is enlarged and the sand is getting stuck in there?

Do you have a picture of the duck in question? The area you drew out on the diagram is where a normal laying duck will often get a pouch so it would be easier for everyone on here to help with a picture of the duck. I'm curious though what made you want to start digging it out? Was this advised by a vet? I would not be digging around unless a vet clearly instructed you to because you could very well cause more harm than good especially since you do not know what's even exactly wrong.

Do you have a picture of the duck in question? The area you drew out on the diagram is where a normal laying duck will often get a pouch so it would be easier for everyone on here to help with a picture of the duck. I'm curious though what made you want to start digging it out? Was this advised by a vet? I would not be digging around unless a vet clearly instructed you to because you could very well cause more harm than good especially since you do not know what's even exactly wrong.
Her owner is a qualified vet, she runs a wildlife sanctuary, so duck is in safe hands. I volunteer there regularly. My role in this is just holding the duck 😂
Unfortunately I don’t have a picture available.

Back
Top Bottom