Sand in the brooder -- it's worth it!

Reptile scoop. I hadn't checked the pet stores for something yet, but every other store I've been in. Today we ended up with a thin mesh net (butter fly net like) from the dollar bins at Target. Works perfect, but the reptile scoop would be quite handy as well.

I went with sand for my 6 chicks as well. We stopped at TSC for dog food and found restocked sweet PDZ and picked up a bag of that. I cleaned the brooder when I got home and need to sprinkle some of that over the sand here shortly.
They play in the sand and even when they drop/fling food into the sand, they are good about picking out the food to eat instead of the sand.

poop scooped out goes to the garden beds.

Last edited:
hmmm, sand. I'd never thought of it. I live right near a beach too so I can get as much as i want. I am going to have to try this out! I might start using it in the coop too! although I do like that with the wood shavings it makes composting a breeze :) Thanks for the tip, can't wait to give it a try!

Be careful with beach sand though, I read somewhere in a forum that beach sand has high amounts of salt and it might hurt the chicks if they eat too much

CarolynF - I haven't seen them intentionally eating the Sweet PDZ, but it's safe if they eat a little. It's supposed to be natural and safe for all animals, and it's just little tiny white grains... it reminds me of clumping cat litter in appearance. I'm glad my post was helpful! What do you use to scoop out your full size coop? I am planning on using it when they're grown as well, but I haven't yet come up with a scoop that would work! I guess I might try to put hardware cloth over a rake or something lol.

After reading all the pages on Trish's thread on coop maintenance, I switched to PDZ in my roosting boxes and in the coop floor (4 x 8)
I use a cat litter scoop and a reptile scoop for the small poop. However it seems that the right size would be something in between so you are in the right direction, DH is making me a scooper with hardware cloth, this way I can use just one.
My project of this week is to change all the bedding in my two runs with river sand, I have a load being delivered on Monday and after the hard work of changing it all, I believe I will be very happy with the results. Right now I have grass cuttings mixed with wood shavings and lots and lots of poop.I have the idea that scooping the poop everyday with a combination rake/scooper will help maintain the runs clean and the girls can dust bathe where ever they want.

Bellatrixed,
I noticed you are sort of new to BYC just like I am. Just started with my first flock last April and I am learning as it goes and thanks to reading lots of posts here I have been able to make changes in my coops and runs to make things better for me and my girls. When you get to the point to move your chicks to the coop and if you decide to use sand and PDZ on the floor, I would suggest to get some nesting pads for bedding on your nesting boxes
http://www.eggcartons.com/category-s/1901.htm
I read in a post that they are great and clean. Right now I am using hay on my boxes but the girls drag some out which is not a big deal, it is just that there is always some poop on the floor and then you have to scoop the hay too. I have ordered some pads and they are on their way .

BTW I have been contemplating the idea of using sand in the brooder, I have been a little hesitant until I read your post. I am getting chicks in May so I will definetly use sand and PDZ after they learn what food look like. Thanks for your input
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion Aldarita! I was considering getting the nesting pads but I was concerned about them getting too dirty. I've always just used hay in nest boxes since it can be replaced easily, but I will definitely have to look into these more.
smile.png
You're right about the hay always getting knocked out. Time to do some more reading!

Be careful with beach sand though, I read somewhere in a forum that beach sand has high amounts of salt and it might hurt the chicks if they eat too much
thanks! i will keep that in mind. I have found another place to get the sand besides the beach now, don't want to hurt my lil chicks!
highfive.gif

I planned to use sand in my coop but didn't even think about using it in the brooder, my girls are 4 days old and I think I am going to switch them over to it today. The pine shavings are a huge mess!

I'm going to try the sand as soon as I can get to a pet store to buy it. At the barn where I keep my horse we had a load of white chert dumped to level some stalls. I am wondering if that will work for now? Does anyone know? If so it's just right down the road and I won't have to go far or long from my babies. Thanks

Not sure about the chert. Is it finely ground like sand or larger bits? If it's larger grain than sand it will be difficult to clean. Sand falls nicely through screen, which is the best way to clean.

A pet store more than likely will have small bags of reptile sand for a lot of money. A hardware store will have larger bags of children's playsand for a better price.

Using unwashed sand will be dusty. Playsand is the type that has been washed and sifted, and is better suited to a brooder environment.

Back
Top Bottom