Sand in the coop.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to put sand under the roosts, so I can just sift out the poop.
You can. I used a mix of sand and granular Sweet PDZ but found the sand really added to the dust burden and have since switched to all PDZ. The coop is still dusty but not as bad as when I used sand and the PDZ is an odor and moister absorber.

You can. I used a mix of sand and granular Sweet PDZ but found the sand really added to the dust burden and have since switched to all PDZ. The coop is still dusty but not as bad as when I used sand and the PDZ is an odor and moister absorber.
Ditto Dat!!

What is PDZ?
It's the mineral zeolite, which absorbs ammonia.
It comes in powder and granular, most prefer the granular for less dust.
Can be found the horse aisle of most farm stores.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sweet-pdz-stall-refresher-25-lb

Those of you that use sand under roosts, do you also use it in the run? Perhaps have an area that is grass or other vegetation along with it?

I started with sand and then switched to PDZ (for my coop and run). It's scoopable and dries much faster if it gets wet at all.

When you use zeolite, how do you dispose of it? How often do you need to change it out?

I use PDZ on my drop boards only. Bits of it "become one" with the droppings, one picks the lumps up ((I clean daily) and disposes it in whatever manner you do now. I dump mine into a compose heap, mix with other "green" materials and, when ready, that goes onto the garden and mixes with the earth.

You never remove the PDZ from the drop board just add more as needed.

Zeolite is a naturally occurring mineral and has no harmful effects.

Back
Top Bottom