Sand in the coop

I am using sand for my ducks...what a breeze to clean FINALLY. I bought play sand Arena Sand from Lowes. It is cleaned and screened and has no silica so Win Win.

just got done putting the sand in the coop and run. i hope this works better cause cleaning that thing out was a little nasty.

Will it help get rid of some of the flies buzzing around there?

I live in sand, is there any reason I can't just put the sand from outside in the coop?

Quote:
I suspect what they're after is "cover" so that a hawk flying above can't spot them. I know that mine head for the nearest bush when I let them out in our yard to free range, and make their way around the yard scurrying from bush to bush. It's just their natural instinct to stay out of open areas. That's one of the reasons why I use a shade tarp over our tractor and have the runs roofed.

Quote:
Flies are drawn to fresh and/or wet manure, so anything you do to cover up or dry out the poo is all to the good.

I use "washed" sand and the run is only covered with wire and I have not had any problems.

6612_aviary_7.jpg

6612_aviary_5.jpg

Quote:
This year is my first year with sand, so I'm not sure about the hot temps. I live in Louisiana, so I will soon find out if the sand is too hot. If it is too hot in the uncovered run, they still have a covered area that they can retreat to and cool off.

Back
Top Bottom