Sand in Uncovered Run?

wilobrookfarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I know theres threads all over about using sand in the runs. My question is....? Does it work well in an uncovered run, or just wash away. My feathered footed breeds, are tearing up their foot feathering in the wet soil. I used leaves as a base when the weather was better, worked great. But I just stripped all the wet leaves out today, they were making the problem worse. Plus staining their feathering.
Thanks

You might want to use a couple 2x4s to contain the sand. Sand is cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

Quote:
TN_BIRD is absolutely right. I have a large uncovered run and I have 2x4s all around it. Works like a charm. I am so please with my sand. Wish I would have done it years ago.

I have sand in my uncovered run and its wonderful! Unless you are planning on keeping feather footed breeds......
I have silkies and my DD is planning on showing some in 4h. Since winter hit I have noticed their foot feathering pretty torn up. I didn't notice how bad until DD got a SQ pair of white silkies! Their feathering was nice until I put them in my run.... Needless to say we are building them their own special lil coop and covered run asap! I don't even know if I could take them to a show now with their foot feathering torn up as bad it is and it happened really fast!!!! hopefully they molt soon!!! We are using fine mason sand.

Back
Top Bottom