Sand on Wood Floor?

Neco

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Canterbury, Connecticut
I have an 10 x 12 Shed we made into a chicken & peafowl coop. It has a wood floor that was painted with a few coats of exterior paint and I have been using a thick layer of pine shavings on top without issues. I completely replace the shavings every 3-4 months. It works and stays clean and dry. It houses 5 peafowl and 6 bantams for reference.

....but I like how sand seems to be easier to clean using a sifter and seems to need less replacing. I also like the idea of not having shavings go flying into the waterers every time someone flaps their wings. Sand seems like it may be slightly less dusty as well. I also just like how it looks when it's freshly scooped.

Does anyone use sand straight on a wood floor? If so how long have you used this method and what type of sand?

We put a sheet of cheap vinyl down over our wood floor to help protect the wood. Your shed is bigger than our coop so I don’t know if that’s an option for you! I do like the sand method for the most part though!

I had considered vinyl when originally building the coop but saw it had some drawbacks so decided against it. Glad it's working for for you! I may try it out in the future in a smaller coop I plan on building.

I think you're OK to lay the sand on wood. The big thing to keep in mind is that it's heavy. You'll want to be sure the floor will support it. I love using sand in the coop--it's even easier than scooping cat litter. I use a coarse sand designed for laying pavers. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom