Sand or pine shavings or what in run?

The coop spring cleaning happens soon. First we dig out some compost to go in the gardens. Then the pine shavings from the coop go in the run.

Close enough to Gillette to hear the crowds. The flyovers go right over the house.
Then you are true Southeast! I’m a transplant from Boston living the rural life now. Thanks for your insights!

Can I jump in on this as I prepare to do a clean out today?

Our system has been using wood chips in the run, hemp deep litter in the coop and straw in the nest boxes.

When the girls started sneezing this past winter I had to rethink their environment but also treated with Tylosin just incase.

I started noticing how dusty the straw is so I replaced with pine shavings.

So was that particular bag of crumbles so I threw the remainder out. Though I am now aware of how dusty crumbles are in general.

I also started noticing the dust as I turned them over the wood chips so I replaced the top layer with pine shavings.

I had plastic and insulation board around the run in the area they roost for the winter leaving the top 4-6" open for ventilation. This covers lest than half of the open aired area. When I replaced the top layer of chips with shavings I could stand in there for extended periods of time moving the shavings around and cleaning and was no longer bothered by dust.

The sneezing has stopped though it took a bit longer for the girls who were congested and one still sneezes at night only.

I had considered just keeping with the shavings in the run so I came on here to research and see it is not really advised. Is there a particular reason for this?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom