Sand or Wire Floor for brooder?

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
Last time I brooded chicks I went the pine shavings route and HATED it. SO dusty and smelly and dirty and difficult to change out completely.

I want to do things differently. I have a few options:

Rubbermade tub or plastic dog kennel with sand. I'm thinking sand may be easier to just scoop the poo out of and I might not need to do a full change out so often?

Wire rabbit carrier with 1/2" x 1" floor wire over a pan. This would need to be modified and have the sides covered somehow since the sides are open.

The brooder will be in my basement, which is cool, but draft free and dry and of course there will be a heat lamp. I'm concerned, though, about the heat/cold-conducting properties of sand. Will the heat lamp make it too hot, or will it still tend to stay cool since the general environment is cool?

This set-up will only be for two chicks at first, but I am expecting a larger order latter in the spring.

Quote:
Well that's disappointing. Anyone else? Guess I will probably end up going with wire, but have a dowel or something to roost on. (And paper towels for the first couple of days.)

I'd be a bit worried about that size wire. I suspect their little feet could get caught. I have a GQF brooder with a wire bottom, but it is 1/2" square, and the woman I bought it from had to patch one spot where a chick got a foot caught in even that. She raised birds for years and only had the one, and none of mine had a problem, but I think I'd be worried about the bigger wire opening. Other than that, the wire bottom was great. I lined the pan underneath it with newspaper and just changed that everyday. Worked great.

Sand is the best ever! I use a kids beach sifter thing and sand shovel, and I can have the sand like new in about 10 minutes, and that's in a 4x4 ft brooder. I put shredded paper down for the first week on top of the sand to make sure it all warmed up, but now the chicks are feathering out and the sand is perfect! It's wayyy easier than wood shavings or shredded paper etc.

I plan on using a wire bunny cage as well. Mine has a little plastic mat with smaller holes than the wire that goes on top and I am going to put a shallow pan on one side to put a little shavings area so the mess wont be as big. Last year my husband rolled a giant water tank for the cows into the garage but since I only ordered a few I think the cage is the way to go.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom