Sand over pea gravel?

JazzyzGurl

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
We're ironing out where we want our long-term chicken run & coop - the hens are in temporary housing now, but will need something more stout before winter.

I'm strongly leaning towards sand for the floor in both. The run will be entirely covered. There is currently 4-5" of pea gravel in the area where we'll be building the coop & run. I was thinking that leaving the pea gravel and going with sand on top of it would help with drainage during the spring melt and any heavy rainstorms - but how do we keep the sand from just sifting down through the pea gravel?

but how do we keep the sand from just sifting down through the pea gravel?
Well, that's the problem with pea gravel, not only with sand but chicken poop.
As terrible as it's sounds, it would be best to remove the pea gravel or pick another spot for coop. Removing it may create a low area where runoff could collect, not good either.

Sand in a run is a lot of work to keep 'clean', daily sifting of a large area is not something I'd want to do, even then it can get stinky after a time. Maybe some sand fans will drop by to support you.

We're ironing out where we want our long-term chicken run & coop - the hens are in temporary housing now, but will need something more stout before winter.

I'm strongly leaning towards sand for the floor in both. The run will be entirely covered. There is currently 4-5" of pea gravel in the area where we'll be building the coop & run. I was thinking that leaving the pea gravel and going with sand on top of it would help with drainage during the spring melt and any heavy rainstorms - but how do we keep the sand from just sifting down through the pea gravel?
I think you'll find if you put sand over pea gravel the sand will make its way underneath rather rapidly.:p:lol:

I think you'll find if you put sand over pea gravel the sand will make its way underneath rather rapidly.:p:lol:
Yep - that's why I'm looking for input from those that have done it :) Many articles mention using gravel of some sort under sand, but nobody says what to put between the two materials.

Back
Top Bottom