Sand pebbles?

Newchics

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Adkins, Texas
I hope this is the correct place to post this question. How often do roosters/hens need to "eat" pebbles, sand, gravel etc? What kind do I use? I'm new to this group and chickens. We are living in Texas and we have sand everywhere. Can I just use the sand around the house?

My rooster is 8 weeks old and will go outside in the new coop this weekend. He has been with us for a week this Sunday. He should be ok til then right? The babies to be are still not hatched yet.

My rooster is 8 weeks old and will go outside in the new coop this weekend. He has been with us for a week this Sunday. He should be ok til then right? The babies to be are still not hatched yet.

He will be fine, they don't 'technically' need the grit if they are being fed a ground up commercial feed, but it is very advantageous and IMO should be offered but don't' stress over it...

As for what to use, if you are going to purchase it get some ground up 'granite' grit at a feed store, it's much better then sand as it has rough edges and is harder, both qualities are desirable...

Thank You very much for the reassurance. Makes me feel better. I'm trying to get him use to us so we can get him to go in at nights. I need training your rooster/chicken for dummies:lol:

To get your rooster to go back to the coop at night to roost...keep him locked in for a few days. Have a light on in the coop around dusk. He will be drawn to the light and go back to the coop to roost.:D

Back
Top Bottom