Sand pebbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Newchics, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Newchics

Newchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    I hope this is the correct place to post this question. How often do roosters/hens need to "eat" pebbles, sand, gravel etc? What kind do I use? I'm new to this group and chickens. We are living in Texas and we have sand everywhere. Can I just use the sand around the house?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they free range and you have various size stones they're probably ok.

The stone needs to be insoluble, small enough to go down the esophagus yet large enough to lodge in the gizzard so the size required varies with the size of the bird. Mine usually eat some daily.

This pdf can be your guide

http://www.tccmaterials.com/pdf/CSgritinfo.pdf

3. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    My rooster is 8 weeks old and will go outside in the new coop this weekend. He has been with us for a week this Sunday. He should be ok til then right? The babies to be are still not hatched yet.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

He will be fine, they don't 'technically' need the grit if they are being fed a ground up commercial feed, but it is very advantageous and IMO should be offered but don't' stress over it...

As for what to use, if you are going to purchase it get some ground up 'granite' grit at a feed store, it's much better then sand as it has rough edges and is harder, both qualities are desirable...

5. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    Thank You very much for the reassurance. Makes me feel better. I'm trying to get him use to us so we can get him to go in at nights. I need training your rooster/chicken for dummies:lol:

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    To get your rooster to go back to the coop at night to roost...keep him locked in for a few days. Have a light on in the coop around dusk. He will be drawn to the light and go back to the coop to roost.:D

7. Newchics

Sep 15, 2014
    Adkins, Texas
    Thank bunches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by