Sandbox during winter?

firsthouse_mp

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
NorthernCal
Do you leave a sandbox for "bathing" in for your chickens during the winter or just during the summer? We are in California and it gets rainy and wet, but we don't have snow. I don't have a sandbox set up because I assumed it was a warm weather thing....should I be putting one out now too?

The ground is frozen here, and we've had 2 feet of snow on the ground for 5 days. However, under the covered run, the girls are still scratching up the ground and dust bathing. I think they'll take advantage of it whenever they can get it.

Same with me only I have soggy, wet, puddle-ridden mud! I tried to give the girls dry dirt and then sand, but they didn't want it. They would rather scratch up the wet dirt and bath in that. Least to say, they are a mess
lol.png

Now I have found my girls bathing in the coop when I add fresh shavings and DE. They seem to like that. The problem is they come out of the coop looking like little ghosts who then go roll in the mud
roll.png

I am on my second tub. My first bath was made up of old soil from dead houseplants and DE. They loved it and it didn't last too long.
My second one they just got today. I bought some traction sand bags at the feed store and mixed it with the DE. I wish I had a video to show you. They are going crazy. Ever see one that looks dead while it's bathing? That's what mine looked like. It’s like a drug to them. They eat the sand for their grit also.
My ground is frozen solid and my birds won't even step foot out of the coop, even yesterday when it was 20 above freezing. I left the coop door open while I was cleaning it today and they didn't try and get out so I make sure they get their dust bath whenever they want it, I think it keeps them healthier.

They will dust-bathe any time of year. I am going to add a 3rd area under my coop. Fine sand, dirt, compost or peat moss. It will be dry most days. Also good to have a small one in the coop if space allows. I had a shallow box 12" x 24" and they did use it. I am going to put that one back in. They never pooped in the one inside either.

When I let ours outa the run, they scoot right under the deck to the hole our dog made and they stand in line sorta to get into it, sometimes they share, but not often. They look filthy, but they're happy!

Last year, mine used an indoor sand box by early November- very cold and storm year for us- this year I haven't put sand in yet and they're scratching outside. A tip- you can put food-grade DE and/ or Dri-Kill or other anti-parasite powders in the sand in small amounts and the birds will treat themselves. I can't speak to the overall effectiveness, except to say I have never had mite, ticks or lice on them...
cool.png

Last edited:
I noticed that ours too, were trying to dust, under a covering in the run. They were practically pushing each other to get in to the small area. Would they still be 'healthy' to not dust at all during the winter months? What could happen if they don't???

Well, sounds like they might benefit from a tub of sand so I might try that this weekend as a FUN event!
smile.png

The mud is not too bad, but it's still too sticky in my opinion to "bathe" in.....thanks all for your input!

Back
Top Bottom