Sandhill Preservation Center - Breeds

This is the first year that I have ordered chicks from Sand Hill and I am very pleased. I only received 1 cockeral from both the Red Caps I ordered and the White Minorca. I was a little hesitant about the straight run aspect, but in this situation it worked out in my favor. The chicks are healhty and larger than what I am accustomed to working with. I have no hesitation regarding their operation. I refer them to as many people as possible.

I have never, nor will I ever show a chicken. My goal is to raise healthy, productive, low maintenance birds that produce eggs or meat and have the capacity to breed and raise their own chicks.
The good thing about raising purebreds is you have an indication of breed traits and standards. Some breeds are flighty, others are docile and friendly. Even in that case, personalities will vary in a breed. Some breeds are huge chickens, others tiny, but there will usually be a variation. A Jersey Giant and his sibling may vary in size, but nevertheless they are still JG.
Apart from their utility, what I really want from my chickens is for them to be "eye candy"!
Pretty, productive, healthy birds. What more can one ask for?
yippiechickie.gif

If Sandhill Preservation can provide stock that meet my needs, I will buy from them knowing that their goal and mine run along the same lines.

My 2 Rotties are pet quality at best, but they still have the breed traits. Mine are smaller than the standard, their heads not as broad, but they are not any less intelligent, protective or loyal. Both are black and tan, both look somewhat different and have different personalities. They are purebreds, just NOT SUPER MODELS. I love them anyway, warts and all.
love.gif

Thumbs up to Sandhill Preservation and their owners.
thumbsup.gif

Sandhill has so many wonderful examples of good quality chickens. I just left my brother's place and he sold me some of the stock he purchased from Sandhill this spring. The Golden Laced Wyandotte, Golden Lakenvelder, Lakenvelder, Barred Holland, Black Minorca, and Lavendar Orpingtons he has are excellent examples of their breed. I have all of the colors of Minorca chickens and am absolutely satisfied with them. I also have the Redcaps and find them to be of larger size than any of the others I have ordered. I am SO glad that I found them. Where else can a chicken fancier find so many rare breeds that are of good quality??

My friend ordered chicks from them and both times the chicks were soggy bodied and sick with a respiratory infection. I couldn't save them and would never order from them.

Has anyone ordered or heard anything bout their frizzle mix?
I've had about a dozen, think 7 were frizzle feathered. They are big birds, the ones I had mostly white with some black or red barring or columbian like colored. Small single combs and clean legged. The girls are broody and have been really really good mothers. They are friendly and haven't been a problem with the other birds. The roosters were processed by 5-6 months but they were nice and never a problem with people or fighting other birds.

I've had about a dozen, think 7 were frizzle feathered. They are big birds, the ones I had mostly white with some black or red barring or columbian like colored. Small single combs and clean legged. The girls are broody and have been really really good mothers. They are friendly and haven't been a problem with the other birds. The roosters were processed by 5-6 months but they were nice and never a problem with people or fighting other birds.
Thanks i'm gona try em since they are the only place with LF frizzles

Back
Top Bottom