Sandwiches, Soup, and ???

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
Okay Chicky Lads and Lasses I Need Help!

MY side is coming on Eve, doing traditional ham and whatnot... No Problems there.

BUT, I've been informed (always a joy to get my orders after all decisions are made without any input asked) that on Christmas Day we're expected at DH's Parents house at 5-ish. Not a surprise in itself, but dinner is. Not turkey, not ham, as per SIL's demands. Instead we're doing sandwiches. Okay, I can deal. We've done it before and I brought soups to go with. Went over well. So I look in the freezer, WOOT got a gallon of Beef, Veggie and Barley ready to go.... NO, SORRY SIL IS MAKING THAT. Well crap... okay, rummaging in freezer... AHA! I have the things to make my Broccoli and Cheese soup (last time was a big hit) ... NO, SORRY SIL IS MAKING THAT.

WTF... bad enough the woman 'just happens' to make plans on our anniversary the last two years... keeping MIL from babysitting for us... and again on my birthday... because it's So Rare for them to get to go out (a rant unto itself I won't bore you with)... that's annoying, but we deal... throw in that everyone in the family walks on eggshells... dang near bows and scrapes... I mean REALLY she's nearly 40 years old and still throwing tantrums and pouts like a toddler... grow up. ARGH... sorry, the pot is just boiling over at the moment... *turns down to simmer*

ANYWHO... the HELP I need... what the devil can I do now? SIL makes devilled eggs... so that's out. MIL is doing the meats, cheeses, etc for the sandwiches and always has potato, corn, cheesey, and pretzel chips on hand. Usually does green and black olives for nibbles too. Two things of soup are already coming... oh and I'm usually the dessert person... and I was told not to bring ANY dessert since there are cakes, cookies, candies, etc from all the neighbors.

SO... what do I do? I hate to go with nothing... makes me feel like a leech... makes me not want to eat a crumb... which of course is noted and griped about... so what the devil can I bring?

I hate to bring another soup, unless it's a REALLY REALLY awesome, knock the cranky snot on her ever expanding keister, recipe... and it's got to be inexpensive... had I known about this before today I could have planned my Friday shopping to include it, but I was under the impression we were going traditional so I bought extra potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. If hubby takes the shock he bought Friday (we can't replace the iffy one until we can do BOTH sides, so we have to wait until we can shell out another 40-odd dollars) then I'll have a little bit of money to buy ingredients....

ACK! PLEASE ADVISE!!

At this point the ONLY thing I can think of is maybe making some croissants (have a roll recipe that has that as an option, but I'd make them a bit bigger so they can be used for sandwiches)... not fun, since I'm dealing with a toaster oven, but I can try. But, if MIL goes and buys a bunch of sandwich rolls then I'd feel bad about that. Then again, if I say anything then there's the risk of her buying those anyways (just in case) or the flipping SIL going out and buying store bought croissants "because C's family demands the expensive special ones" ... ARGH...

Anyone else feel like the holidays are freakishly similar to a live trap or is that just me....
hit.gif

Bring a bottle of wine... and drink it yourself! I think you may need it to deal with your family.
wink.png

Seriously, how about a quiche or two? I love soup and quiche. It's my favorite cold weather combo.

Yeah, MIL is picky about that too... has her particular plates she uses, and keeps in stock.
And she will not allow anyone to use plastic utensils...

Appreciate the idear though... I was considering antipasti, but the meat portion would be a bit weird with sandwiches being served, and olives already covered. Not to many big veggie eaters but I suppose that's possible.

Edit... a quiche... hmmm... the SIL likes that... I've never made one.

I did make a yummy chili relleno casserole the other night, turned out really good.... do you think that might be good?
I know my BIL loves spicey foods...

Anyone have a quiche recipe that is tastey and darn near foolproof?

Last edited:
I ask ahead of time WHAT do you want me to bring. If they say oh I dunno I let them know unless they tell me, I'll just show up with 9 kids in tow and eat whatever's there. I don't mind buying and cooking my part, but GIVE ME A CLUE!

That recipe look yummy Tipsy, thanks!

Salad wise... picky... me I don't usually eat any of those salads so I'd have no idea if what I made was good or not.
But, historically (at BBQs and whatnot) the dents in those salads haven't been very big.

PICKLES I HAVE... how did I forget I bought a spare jar of mini-dill-gerkins... THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!

My SIL had made a cheese dip and had the scoop chips to go with at her Christmas Sun. Do you know a good dip recipie? I know one dip my employee used to make. It was really good. she layered the bottom of a cake pan with cream cheese then on top of that was hormell canned chili and then another layer of shredded cheese. Then it was put in the oven till the cheese was melted and it was heated through. Served it with the scoop chips. You could also do a cheese ball and crackers.

Back
Top Bottom