Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

I voted earlier today.
yippiechickie.gif

Alex, I think you need to turn in a new direction. Get away from the racial Mexican thing and turn to the Cary, NC story.

Really.. blaming anyone on city council of racial stuff will only piss them off more.

Please try to call the lady in Cary. I will find the phone number. Cary is known for intelligent, long term residents who make a DIFFERENCE in the town. I betcha a million dollars the woman who wants her chickens there WILL WIN.

I'll try and find her, meanwhile here's the link:
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3179787/

Quote:
Feel free to contact me through the forum (my wife and I are the couple in Cary) if you would like to discuss what we've done so far and the routes we have currently explored.

You should also contact your local planning and development department, it might be possible for them to alter the zoning of your property to allow chickens. It might not be possible at this point since it is going before the council already, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Hey all, especially you Cary folks. I am happy to hear what you have done. I have already gone through the planning department. We have a new Unified Development Ordinance UDO and they will not rezone single properties. Also I was told by planners that they cannot do anything until City Council tells them to do something. The City Attorney informed me I had to right the code, and figure out and follow the Sanford ordinance format. Everyone passes the buck here. As far as the Que Pasa interview. I am by no mean attempting to pin racism on City Council. However, since it was clearly pointed out that there are 15,000 Hispanics in the City and the council represents them, they should know what is going on. Simply, Que Pasa and others are asking "Why Not" and "What are your fears." This is a high road approach that will hold them accountable.

Where have your successes been Cary folks?

Well, I must admit I am very new at this "chicken-thing" but found your posts to be most intriguing. I have worked in government, at a board level, for over 30 years and have learned that there is always a solultion to every problem. Your efforts to date are amazing at what one individual can accomplish when they put their minds to it and you are to be commended for your local-government activism. Having said that, I would propose a new argument that I have seen work in my community for a very similar incident, only involving goat herds. Having failed at all the challenges to the local ordinance, the owners simply applied for a permit as a "Petting-Zoo" even though the local ordinance had no provision for it. The local government "over-load" was hilarious. In the end the owners were granted an exemption to the ordinance as a "petting-zoo" and the compromised solution was a win-win. Good luck in your case, and I'll be watching.
cool.png

Alex, it was great to speak with you yesterday. I hope that the information we provided, as well as the experience my daughter (Envirogirl) and I had last year changing OUR town's ordinance, is helpful to you.

Keep us updated, and GOOD LUCK!

Anyone else reading this who's considering a similar attempt: it CAN be done. We did it last year in our city. It was difficult, yes, and took the entire summer and hundreds of hours of campaigning, researching, marketing, PR, etc, but it can be done. If anyone else wants to use any of the research we compiled, feel free to PM us and/or visit the archived web site from our campaign: http://www.sailzora.com/chickens.htm or the new site we set up afterwards http://www.SoPoChickens.org.

Stacey

Okay, I just voted on Golo and there are now 7 votes. Why do they keep making people vote every day?

Back
Top Bottom