Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

Alex-

Thought you might like to know that our local papers are presently writing "Urban chickens, a year later.." articles since last summer we did what you are trying to do. A reporter recently interviewed us and he told me that according to the Code Enforcement officer, there have been exactly ZERO complaints so far, with 14 permits issued last year. This from a town with exactly the same attitude as yours: "pandora's box" etc. Might be good for you to show your town....

Stacey

This is sooo awesome
big_smile.png

SeaChick, 14 permits is FANTASTIC!!

Everyone should have chickens!!!!!
lol.png

Wow, 14 permits! It sounds great, especially since there's only one family with permitted chickens in our town (and that's out of the last 5 years).

Alex - One thing you may want to do is write a suggested ammendment to the ordinance. And present them with the facts about your chickens and the way that you are keeping or wish to keep them. That way they can see what you want to happen - not have to do everything from scratch. I have re-written our town ordinance and plan to present it to the town council at their next meeting (in August). I hope that by doing this they will understand that I'm not just begging and hoping they'll change the ordinance, I am actually trying to help them by doing the research and offering them a quick-fix.

Hey all:

SeaChick: Let me know when that article is posted so I can get a copy of it.

Wake Forest folks: Thank you for the advice.....I have already done that for them. First I gave them samples of code from 5 other towns....that seem to confuse them. So I took parts from all of them and made quite a stringent code, but at least it is better than "No."

I seem to be having a real leadership problem here. One council member is quoted (Sanford Herald 6/16/08) saying "he saw no reason to consider the ordinance, though he would be willing to if other councilmen requested it."

What??????

These folks are unbelievable.

Quote:
Don't give up and don't stand for it. If your local elected officals are not responding to you, and you are following due process, then go to your state senator or state rep and complain, and also do a little more research to see what the process is to censure or remove this clown from office.

What you are doing is your most basic constitutional right and they can't that away from you.

Don't give up!
smile.png

~Phyllis

Perhaps it would be helpful to post a copy of the ordinance restricting chickens in your community. I, for one, would like to read it. I've read pretty much all the posts and don't think it's been posted before, but let me know if I just missed it. There are many of us who have some experience in this area and perhaps a "fresh" look at the document may result in a "fresh" approach. If the community web site has it, perhaps you could post a link for us.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom