Sanitation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Antone69, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Antone69

Antone69 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    Rockledge, FL
    We have two Pekin ducks in Florida. The ducks come in a cage at night to keep them safe. I have a metal tray under the cage to catch the smelly stuff and rinse daily. I also try and avoid feeding them at night to cut down on waste in the cage. I put the cage on two pressure treated boards with small rocks in between the boards. I spray out the cage daily for anything that has not fallen through. My questions are: What products should I be cleaning with? Is their something I can spray or put down to help break down the waste? What about cleaning bowls for food and water etc... I was using vinegar and water but it is turning the metal and making it rust. Just want to keep the ducks safe and our environment non-smelly and safe.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you use stainless steel, rust ought not to be a problem. I use a stainless steel bowl and a plastic doggie no-spill bowl. I use vinegar for cleanup.

Composting is the best way to handle manure. Just balance the manure with straw or shavings, and it helps to rake it a little from time to time so it gets some air.

Water drives air out, so wet manure and wet compost will smell unpleasant.

I would just make sure the cage cannot be toppled by a large dog. I lost my rabbit - she died - because a dog found her cage and tumbled it down a small slope, breaking it open.รง

3. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    Galvanized steel is also rust resistant and cheaper than stainless

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I believe galvanized will leach zinc when combined with acid (vinegar) liquids.

And stainless bowls don't cost that much.

5. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015

I stand corrected!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by