Sanitation

Antone69

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2015
Rockledge, FL
We have two Pekin ducks in Florida. The ducks come in a cage at night to keep them safe. I have a metal tray under the cage to catch the smelly stuff and rinse daily. I also try and avoid feeding them at night to cut down on waste in the cage. I put the cage on two pressure treated boards with small rocks in between the boards. I spray out the cage daily for anything that has not fallen through. My questions are: What products should I be cleaning with? Is their something I can spray or put down to help break down the waste? What about cleaning bowls for food and water etc... I was using vinegar and water but it is turning the metal and making it rust. Just want to keep the ducks safe and our environment non-smelly and safe.

If you use stainless steel, rust ought not to be a problem. I use a stainless steel bowl and a plastic doggie no-spill bowl. I use vinegar for cleanup.

Composting is the best way to handle manure. Just balance the manure with straw or shavings, and it helps to rake it a little from time to time so it gets some air.

Water drives air out, so wet manure and wet compost will smell unpleasant.

I would just make sure the cage cannot be toppled by a large dog. I lost my rabbit - she died - because a dog found her cage and tumbled it down a small slope, breaking it open.ç

I stand corrected!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom