Sanity Check: Medication (Ivermectin) and Chronic Weakness. Okay to offer treatment?

HoopyFrood

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Maine, USA
My Coop
My Coop
We have a black australorp (Aurora) that has had a very rough go of things for the past 5 months. She is going on 4 years old and, as far as we know, was perfectly healthy up until her molt started with the transition to winter here last November. She was vaccinated for MD at birth at the hatchery.

Prior to 2020, she lived in Maine for close to three years. We moved to central California at the beginning of 2020. So all 2020 was getting used to a new environment and very different (much hotter, dryer climate). All year things seemed to go well. When her molt started, she became lethargic. Being in molt, we were not surprised. We simply cared for her. The change of season from summer to winter (there was not much of a fall) happened quickly and we had a mess of sparrows invade the chicken space. We tried to chase them off, but there was a good 2-4 weeks of mixing before we could find a way to keep the sparrows out more-or-less for good.

Shortly thereafter her sister pooped out roundworms (neither they, nor their former flock members, had ever shown any signs of worm load before). We monitored, but never treated medically as no further symptoms appeared. We just redoubled our biosecurity efforts and focused on hygiene. Aurora became more and more lethargic as time passed, then we noticed she had lost weight in spite of eating well. We suspected tapeworms. We treated with Safe-Guard about a month ago (three day course, repeated after 10 days). Aurora became deathly ill just after the second course was completed. That was just over two weeks ago. At that point she shed both roundworm and tapeworm pieces.

After very careful chicken ICU care (replete with nutri-drench, rooster booster, and a wide assortment of food) she greatly improved last week and spent much of several days outside. But over time she again became lethargic and her breathing became much more labored. She now struggles to walk 10-20 feet.

Her poop is normal, if thin and watery if she hasn't eaten much. She eats peas, bean sprouts, some regular feed, some seeds, and we supplement with cooked egg whites mixed with flaxmeal and nutrient yeast extract (no added salt). She does not like water with rooster booster or nutri drench in it, so it's been three days since since we've done that.

She has the typical ailment penguin stance. Very labored breathing. She is poofy (constantly fluffed up feathers) but her abdomen is not distended (as we would expect in internal laying, or water belly). Her appetite is very good considering her condition. But her vocalizations are greatly reduced and changed. She is showing some "swelling" on the side of her neck and chest, but it's difficult to tell the difference between inflamed and "just feathers puffed up." She has a funky fold in her feathers on the left side where her neck and chest meet. She has gained weight overall in the past month, which is very good. But we haven't weighed her recently; trying to disturb her as little as possible. Probably right at 5 lbs.

She has no nasal discharge. No coughing/sneezing. Eyes bright, clear, and alert (when she's not sleeping). No excessive head shaking or "yawning." No signs of motor control difficulties. Her crop is not impacted and nor sour. She still preens as much as she can.

We are wondering if air sac mites might be the culprit? There are no signs of external parasites. Her labored breathing is confounding: is it the cause of her lethargic condition, or is it just a symptom of something else?

She's sleeping 20-22 hours a day. While her appetite is good, it seems borderline if it can sustain her long term over weeks. And it appears that her difficulty breathing and lethargy are increasing daily.

We're worried she may have suffered organ damage with the recent Safe-Guard treatment. She was obviously already malnourished and suffering from worm load. It's likely she would have a very long recovery time anyway.

But five days ago, there was an end to her five-day improvement (after having been at death's door for several days). For the past five days she's been going downhill. More lethargy, more difficulty breathing.

We're thinking air sac mites MIGHT be a good diagnosis as the wild birds were likely the source of the worms, and easily could have carried other parasites. In her weakened state she may have been especially susceptible. But we are just guessing here! All we have to go on are the key symptoms she is NOT displaying that allow us to rule out everything else.

In her weakened condition is a topical Ivermectin treatment advisable?

We're wanting to do everything we can. No poultry vets in our area... though it's unlikely we could afford a Californian one anyway.

Her sister - always the fireball - never flagged once even while loaded with roundworms. She is now clear and has continued to be her usual wrecking ball of a self. So no air sac mites are afflicting her, obviously! But the two have been separated for two weeks with Aurora only coming outside for sun/grass/dirt breaks when the weather is nice. She sleeps in the house, the rest of the time.

We could really use a sanity check here, if anyone can offer one. Thanks very much for reading!

Safeguard is not really the best treatment for tapeworm. I would suggest either Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse paste for the tapeworms (praziquantel is the medication most effective for tapes).
At 4 years old the possibilities are numerous, but since you know you had a parasite issue, that would be a good place to start. The three day dosing and repeat in 10 days should have taken care of roundworm, if the dosing was correct. Having said that, roundworm is really easy to pick up in the environment and reinfection is common. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be the best option to know for sure if parasites are the problem (or part of it). Parasites can really weaken a bird and leave them at risk for other issues.
Ivermectin has become less effective for some parasites, they've become resistant to it.
Post #6 here has dosing for the Equimax and Zimectrin Gold:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/

sorry for the late reply, is she still alive? i don't really have any advice that you wouldn't already know.
:fl :fl :fl wishing the best.
Thank you for the well wishes!! Yes, she is holding steady-ish still. We decided to go ahead a re-treat with ivermectin a couple hours after I wrote the OP. We read to expect things to get worse during the initial die-off before things got better. The day after was one of her worst days. On the whole her trend has ceased degrading. But we are not on an obvious road to recovery at this point.

She hasn't given up yet and is in generally good spirits for as weak as she is. We are hoping a few more days of nursing will start seeing her turn around. Time will tell.

All the best to you!

Safeguard is not really the best treatment for tapeworm. I would suggest either Equimax or Zimectrin Gold horse paste for the tapeworms (praziquantel is the medication most effective for tapes).
At 4 years old the possibilities are numerous, but since you know you had a parasite issue, that would be a good place to start. The three day dosing and repeat in 10 days should have taken care of roundworm, if the dosing was correct. Having said that, roundworm is really easy to pick up in the environment and reinfection is common. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be the best option to know for sure if parasites are the problem (or part of it). Parasites can really weaken a bird and leave them at risk for other issues.
Ivermectin has become less effective for some parasites, they've become resistant to it.
Post #6 here has dosing for the Equimax and Zimectrin Gold:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
Thank you SO much for that tip! I had not heard of praziquantel. We did treat with ivermectin on Wed midday (going on 4 days ago). We haven't seen evidence of more worm shedding yet; but at time of treatment her poops went to a slick, sticky yellowish/greenish run. About a day ago they started to become much more normal looking. She still is having a hard time breathing, which is why we suspected air sac mites and treated with ivermectin...

But if it's a persistent tapeworm, perhaps it's just chronic weakness that is causing hard breathing?

Thank you so much for the link!! This is wonderful info! We read that respiratory mites often have a 6 or so day life cycle so, unless things get critical, I don't want to re-medicate too quickly. If we can give her 6 or 7 days (or more) we will. The Equimax stuff I'm seeing on Amazon all has ivermectin in it and we're not supposed to re-dose that until after a 14 day wait. I'll try to find an ivermectin free variety. I'm not sure what our local feed store has; I'll have to go find out.

We still haven't located a proper vet facility yet. We'll keep trying.

Thank you again! I'll let you know how it goes!

I believe both equimax and zimectrin are praziquantel and ivermectin. Bayer makes a cat dewormer that is just praziquantel, which I think you may be able to get on line without prescription, but dosing would need to be figured out, I've never used it for chickens. I used to get it from my vet for my cat.

Back
Top Bottom