Sapphire Olive Egger Cockerel - SWVA

chicorychooks

Hatching
Apr 30, 2023
This stunning young gentleman is in need of a new home. He was supposed to be a she (I had bad luck with pullet purchases, he's the third of three that turned out to be cockerels). Since he's not, I can't keep him. Not only are roosters not allowed where I live, but he's an active type that needs more space and more hens than I could give him.

He is 13 weeks old and has started refining his crow. He's been raised like a pet, so he's not aggressive to people or other chickens, but he does want to be alpha chicken. He's also not a lap-chicken by any means. He will eat out of your hand and he generally enjoys being in your presence (when I sit next to the pen, he'll lay down next to me), but otherwise he's much more interested in going about his own chicken business. I don't have rooster experience, but he seems to have some hallmarks of good instincts. He's always watchful and places himself between the girls and any "threats" (cats running past the pen, songbirds engaged in one of their loud turf wars, etc.). At night, he herds the girls into the coop for bedtime if they're not inside by the time it gets dark. He seems like he would do well with enough space and a flock to call his own. Plus, he's just a handsome chicken. My pictures don't do him justice - the contrast of the blue/gray and red in his feathers and the gold tone of his eyes really are quite striking features.

If someone would like to give him the chance to be the best rooster he can be, I'm in southwest Virginia but also really close to parts of northeast Tennessee and northwest North Carolina.

image_50786049.JPG

image_67190273.JPG

image_67504129.JPG

Back
Top Bottom