Sapphire Olive Egger vs. Sapphire Gem

JDeBlois

Chirping
Sep 23, 2020
So, we recently bought four new hens to add to our flock. Two of which we were told are both Sapphire Olive Eggers, but after about a week we have received three Olive colored eggs and two light brown eggs from these two. One is tufted and one is not. The other two, a Midnight Majesty Marans and BCM, have their typical dark brown eggs so they're obvious.

Any thoughts? I know theres never a 100% guarantee on egg color, but I'm half thinking one is a Sapphire Gem.

Attachments

• 1008201846_HDR.jpg
    1008201846_HDR.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I never started my post was ignored. Some time has passed and was checking again with updated photos. the more people that see my post the more likely I will get more knowledge. Am I breaking rules by asking here? I want to be a good cyber steward.
You're not breaking any rules. It's just that the more knowledgeable identification peeps here won't typically click on old threads.

We will need to see pics of your birds. You were wanting to know breed?

It typically takes a good 2 weeks for them all to settle down after adding a new bird. Taking one bird out for a week then adding it back will make that bird a new bir
It typically takes a good 2 weeks for them all to settle down after adding a new bird. Taking one bird out for a week then adding it back will make that bird a new bird.

Looks like he's probably a Sapphire OE.
Hoover's got back with me and confirmed I have a Sapphire Olive Egger and a Black Australorp cockerel!

Thanks! I've dug as much as I can to try to find pages listing differences, but most don't say much. I guess she just didn't get the Olive gene!

Much appreciated!
Yes, you are right between 5 and 10% of sapphire olive Eggers will lay a brown egg! Congratulations on your eggs though, so fun to get different colors!😊

Yes, you are right between 5 and 10% of sapphire olive Eggers will lay a brown egg! Congratulations on your eggs though, so fun to get different colors!😊

Thanks! Sarah is getting closer to her dream basket. Pastel green from an EE, a chocolate Marans egg, a dark brown with almost purple speckles from a Marans, white, tan, brown, pink and we have a young black Ameracauna that should be pushing blue in a few months :)

Both sapphire olive eggers. The crested one is definitely a SOE. The other has a white ear lobe, while a sapphire gem would have a red ear lobe.
Hi, I'm not sure if I have olive eggers or sapphire gems, as they haven't started laying yet. Soon though, as one has displayed the submissive pose. You commented on the ear lobe color. One of my olive eggers has white lobes and the other one has red lobes. They were from the same batch of hatchlings. They both have deeper yellow legs with some black markings. 50/50 chance at green eggs? Was hoping for green, but love these girls either way. They are not only beautiful, but one of them is my favorite girl in the flock. So sweet.

Here is a close up of Olive with her white lobes. Dalilah's lobes are red. Their feather coloring is exactly alike. Sapphire Gems or Olive Eggers?

Attachments

• Olive 2.jpg
    Olive 2.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 158
  • Dalilah (2).jpg
    Dalilah (2).jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Olive 1 (2).jpg
    Olive 1 (2).jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 168
I already tried my own thread with no success. I got noticed on this thread though😉😁
Your single post wasn’t ignored, it’s way too early to know what type of chicks those were. You didn’t even answer a key question on the last reply. Once they’re fully feathered and we get info on some colour, etc, maybe someone can help

Back
Top Bottom