Sapphire??

Gymmouse84

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2017
IMG_3630.JPG Hello, I just bought some chicks from a local breeder. One she said was a sapphire. I know it's a blend of cream legbar and typically leghorn but she is black. Could she be mixed with something else?

Not a Sapphire, which to my understanding is a mix of White Leghorn and Ameraucana/EE not Cream Legbar...although there are different formulas. Sapphires aren't a breed but a mix with blue egg layer and White Leghorn to make a light blue productive layer.

But that is definitely NOT a White Leghorn mix as WL are dominant white...so not a Sapphire no matter what formula.

LofMc
Sapphires were first produced in England. They are an F1 hybrid from White Leghorn hens and Cream Legbar roosters.

What you are describing the White Leghorn and Ameraucana/EE cross are what are being sold as Super Blue egg layers.

Not a Sapphire, which to my understanding is a mix of White Leghorn and Ameraucana/EE not Cream Legbar...although there are different formulas. Sapphires aren't a breed but a mix with blue egg layer and White Leghorn to make a light blue productive layer.

But that is definitely NOT a White Leghorn mix as WL are dominant white...so not a Sapphire no matter what formula.

LofMc
Okay thanksThe breeder said it should make a darker blue egg and I know she said the hen was a legbar so could it be legbar/Americana mix? Sorry, I'm new to this

Okay thanksThe breeder said it should make a darker blue egg and I know she said the hen was a legbar so could it be legbar/Americana mix? Sorry, I'm new to this

Could be a Legbar and any dark colored bird.

I've crossed Barnevelder (rooster) over Cream Legbar (hen) to produce black chicks that grow into gloriously colored black based with gold pencilled birds that lay sage....complete with crests.

So any dark colored bird over the Cream Legbar will generally produce a black chick (unless you've got some secondary lurking genetics) if a CL hen is used. If the CL rooster is used over the black hen, barring usually comes through, which would produces a black chick with white head dot for male and all black for female (home-brewed BSL) that could lay light blue depending upon what the hen was (white layer).

CL is a little risky for sapphire as so many of them lay more of a green tone than a true blue.

LofMc

LofMc

View attachment 1033991 Hello, I just bought some chicks from a local breeder. One she said was a sapphire. I know it's a blend of cream legbar and typically leghorn but she is black. Could she be mixed with something else?
I am not saying that the chick you got is a Sapphire but @DMRippy sells hatching eggs that will be Sapphires and some of the chicks do come out black.

The Sapphires I have produced from White Leghorn hens crossed with a Cream Legbar rooster have all been white or white with some black spots. None of mine have ever been black.

I am not saying that the chick you got is a Sapphire but @DMRippy sells hatching eggs that will be Sapphires and some of the chicks do come out black.

The Sapphires I have produced from White Leghorn hens crossed with a Cream Legbar rooster have all been white or white with some black spots. None of mine have ever been black.
Okay cool, thanks for that info. I guess we will see as she gets older what she resembles

Sapphires were first produced in England. They are an F1 hybrid from White Leghorn hens and Cream Legbar roosters.

What you are describing the White Leghorn and Ameraucana/EE cross are what are being sold as Super Blue egg layers.

Good to know.
I know I saw Sapphires being advertised by a farm here in America, and they weren't using CL's.

Thanks for sharing the history of the Sapphires.

LofMc

Good to know.
I know I saw Sapphires being advertised by a farm here in America, and they weren't using CL's.

Thanks for sharing the history of the Sapphires.

LofMc
I have no doubt about a farm selling something that is not what it is supposed to be. Just check eBay for all the different hatching eggs that aren't what they claim to be. I have seen turkey hatching eggs advertised as Patriot turkeys (no such turkey exists). They were selling hatching eggs from various turkeys that had blue and red colors in them. None of the pictured varieties would breed true so the people naive enough to buy those eggs had no idea what they would end up hatching.

Back
Top Bottom