Savanah vs Sam

ok, this is nothing new to most of you. Is it pullet or cockerel? So the larger Green Egger has the smaller waddles and comb, fluffy hind feathers, and I have witnessed laying on the nest and have gotten three eggs these past 7 days. Normal for a newbie. But my question is the smaller Green egger has the larger comb and waddles and I looked at the neck feathers which seem to be sharper ended. I have looked at the vent twice and no penis is visible, just the slit. But, could I still be mistaken? She as a chick was the smaller and runt if you will, but why the larger red tissues? No morning song as in a cock, but just wondering. any input or something I can do other than wait and see? The pix is not the best for comparison. They move so fast and are not keen on being too close (even though I interacted with them a lot as chicks....)

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_080844360_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210809_080844360_MP.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 12
Unlike drakes, roosters have no penis. (Which is why it's a bad idea to keep ducks and chickens together if you have drakes).

The smaller one is probably a pullet who is just a bit slower to develop.

View attachment 2793895
Thank you for the info. Great pix. I was watching a video and the farmer was showing how to identify chicks. He may have said penis, but he said you'd see a type of protrusion vs a pullet with a straight vent.

Thank you for the info. Great pix. I was watching a video and the farmer was showing how to identify chicks. He may have said penis, but he said you'd see a type of protrusion vs a pullet with a straight vent.

Vent sexing is only done on newly-hatched chicks and even the experts at the hatcheries get at least 10% wrong. :D

Back
Top Bottom