Save a chick fridge

@Ilovemychicks08 was correct, drinking too much cold water too fast can put baby poultry into shock very fast and kill them. I lost almost a whole batch of ducklings from it once. They had run out of water overnight so were extra thirsty, and because the faucet wasn't working in the basement I filled their waterer from the tap outside. Well the water that comes out of it is always cold, but I didn't think about it at the time. Less than ten minutes later I walked back in with their feeder, and out of ten ducklings, five were on their backs seizing and dying, 3 were wobbling all over and tipping over, and two were still drinking. I felt the water, ice cold. They had gorged themselves on it and put themselves into shock. It happens fast. I started rushing to get them warm, using a hair dryer and rubbing them. All five that were already almost dead died. Of the 3 wobbly ones one died, the other two warmed up and recovered. The two that had still been drinking got wobbly but then also recovered after me warming them up. It was really sad, especially since they were only 3 days old. I almost had it happen to a couple other ducklings on another instance, and the water wasn't even very cold that time either. So now all ducklings and chicks get very warm water. Not too hot, but like bath water temp. Never let them run out either, because if they do when they get water again they gorge themselves on it and can die the exact same way from that.
Wow. That's awful. I'm so sorry it happened to you!

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Because they are so little their first few days and it's just me I guess that I don't want them having something 40F. Their little bodies need to stay at 90-95 and I'd fear that refrigerated water might even shock them. Perhaps I just worry too much but I don't want to add anything to the equation when they're so little. :)

Back
Top Bottom