save money on feed?

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Hello. I have 4 Coturnix hens, amazing producers and just little pets that live in a really spacious quail enclosure. So, I did the math and I am paying about $2.30 per pound of turkey feed, Manna Pro 22-Percent Meatbird Starter Grower Crumbles with Probiotics,
So I don't want a big bag because I've had chicken feed go bad on me before.
I have a special feeder which really cuts down on the waste. To save money I've been mixing maybe 1/10 chicken pellets in with their turkey crumbles, then supplementing their feed with lots of greens plus maybe 1/2 cup of dried meal worms for all 4 to share every day. Is there any way I could be saving money on quail feed? So what about buying a larger bag and freezing it - would that work?

I’ve been freezing my extra feed and so far nothing has gone bad. I got a 50lb bag for about $16 and it’s lasted 4 months for my quail and still have quite a bit left.

So at that rate you're paying $115 for 50 pounds, and for 22% protein, which is okay for adult birds but not enough protein if they are still growing. You're paying more than $2 for a dozen of those little eggs.

If you keep it clean and dry, you shouldn't have food going bad on you. Also, you want to make sure you are giving them feed with calcium in it (or free choice) since a turkey starter isn't going to have much.

Oh my! Yes I will definitely start buying the larger bags!! Had not looked at it quite that way, just knew it was like using dollar bills to line their little nests!! Thanks everyone!! We do supplement calcium, always a good reminder.

Back
Top Bottom