1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saved by the chicken wire fence

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panner123, Oct 28, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    After the chickens were cared for today, all the chickens went crazy and the dog went down to the run area. I just knew a predator was after the chickens, I went to the spot where I can overlook the runs. I only thing I could see is a hen fussing by the fence and the dog is right there. Then I can hear the baby chick calling. The dog is standing guard by the chick. All the chicks on the inside are under their mamas, that is until I pick the chick up. Every hen tried to attack me, with the aid of the roo. The poor dog went up the hill like she was shot. The only thing that stopped me from being seriously hurt was the fence. Don't let anyone tell you a hen won't protect her chicks. When I put the chick down in the run, the hen pecked me once. I think it was to let
    me know how lucky I was to be on the outside of the fence. Never a dull moment around chickens.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    yeah, that would hurt! Especially the roo!!! That's why mine will never have full grown spurs....Glad the chick is okay!!!

3. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

yup, gotta keep on eye on em.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    atleast theyre good moms.....one of my hens jumped 12 feet through mid air when i picked up a chick from a clutch that wasnt even hers, then the rooster jumped on my head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by