Saving Eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mangled, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Songster

My sweet little EE hen has just began laying these wonderful little blue-green eggs. I have been blowing them out to save the shells for decorating. I have a wire egg basket on top of my cabinets with some fake eggs in, and would love to use the little EE eggs instead.

Is there a way of preserving them so they are a bit stronger? I was thinking of filling them with some white glue, but was unsure of the results.

Any ideas?

Thanks-
    Em

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What about using plaster of paris?

3. Kaneke

Kaneke Songster

check the craft store for something called Mod Podge -- used for decoupage but I bet if you brushed it on the egg, it would work

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I have a bunch of eggs... never blew them out and they are still sitting in my room drying.. .been 6-7 years now?

A coating would probably be your best bet. I don't know if filling it with glue would be able to dry out.

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Quote:They don't rot and smell????!!!!!:eek:

6. I have heard to bake them after they've dried out and then seal them.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Nope, if there are no cracks in the shell, they should be sterile inside and thus just dry out. I don't even try to save anything that has a crack... a recipe for stinky disaster. Most just wobble around one end as thats the side it dried into!

8. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Very interesting! Theoretically then, if one of my hens laid an egg and I couldn't find it, as long as it didn't crack it would simply dry out! Who'd of thunk it! [​IMG]

9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Songster

Jan 1, 2008
    I filled mine with Plaster of paris, then I used a few for fake eggs. Worked like a charm.

I tried other fillers and they pecked at them. Plaster was to me the best choice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: